• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tail Spot Blenny question

I have a 24 gal Aquapode with a yellow watchman goby in it now. My question would be, is it a strong possibility that a Tail Spot Blenny would go after the goby? I know other larger blennies will are known to go after gobies but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience. I have some, not a whole bunch, of hair algae growing and would like to get something that will help keep it in check. Thank you for your help.

I cannot help you with the specifics sorry nobody answered. I have a starry blenny and it doesn't bother my cleaner goby(at least not that I saw)

What I have read about Blennies in general is they don't like other fish that look like them. So I would guess that a Shrimp Goby might look like another Blenny but it all depends on the individual. Is there other suggestions on a small fish that will help with algae growth that is also reef safe?

Think the blenny is the best but I guess the next would be some of the small angels they eat a little algae but how much is hard to say.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Unfortunatly for nano owners there really is not a small fish that takes care of algae the way say a tang or foxface would. Dwarf angels will pick at algae on your rocks but don't really eat algae (especially nuisance algae). The only nano sized fish I can think off of the top of my head that is supposed to eat algae is the lawnmower blenny (even that is debateable) You are probably better off looking for inverts that eat algae (certain snails or hermits) but the best thing to do is figure out why you have the alge in the first place.

my starry chases the Algae blenny but does not bother my Cleaner gobies or Yellow watchmen. So i say no problem

I have some hair algae that is growing on the rocks. I tested my parameters thinking they might be off for some reason but they were perfect. I think I just need something to help eat what I can't scrub. I think I will go with a blenny and see how he does. I had a dwarf angel for a few weeks but once the algae was gone I tried to supplement algae food but it went after my corals instead. It was quickly returned to the lfs but my acan died before that happened. :( I will update here so if someone else is following this thread they can learn from my experience.

Don't forget the problem algae can use up the nutrients in your system so when you test you won't see any problem. Blow your rocks off with a turkey baster if you don't do it when doing your water change. You don't have the sponge or bio balls in there still do you? I actually have an AP ...moved up but use as my QT.
Here is what I did in the back ... no cheato now because not running the tank.

mod.jpg

100_0385.jpg

I never put my bio balls in the back and only had the sponge in the tank when I was cycling it just to get the large particles out. I have since put cheato in the back with a led bar like in you picture and a small bag of carbon. However I like how you used that carbon bag for a hang on back filter. How does that work for you? I also like how the fish looks so if he doesn't do a great job and it leaves my goby alone then I will be happy. I was hoping to get a bonus out of the fish.

my mExi turbo Snail destroyed what hair algae i use to have.. he would leave just enough on the glass to grow back then mow it down a little while later..