• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Algae, Algae, Algae. I have a produce stand in my tank. :oops: The fish love it but I am not crazy about it.
After I eradicated the invasive sponge and horrendous dino's, that left me with a Humongous algae farm. There may be lemon trees growing behind my rocks.

No, I don't add silly chemicals or offer up tea leaves to the moon although I haven't tied that. I know, and the fish know that algae is a good thing. The corals are not crazy about it if it covers them but besides that, they appreciate how clean the water will become when it leaves.

At that time, the tank will be as healthy as it can be as the algae will remove everything I don't want in my water.
This probably came about from my NSW behind my home as it was filled with nitrates.

As the algae is starting to die I have to suck it out every couple of days with a diatom (or any canister filter) or it will rot and again become algae.

I remove so much algae each time I do this that I clog my sink.
(old picture with very little algae)
April 19.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thank you Reefsandrotts :biggrin:

This morning we went to I Hop for my free Veteran breakfast. It's a little more than I can eat. I ate a little of it here before I took the picture.

They give you all that if you are a Veteran weather you want it or not.
IMG_1720.JPG

Thanks to all people who served and welcome home. :D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wipe that smirk off your face and drop and give me 20 sergeant.

I’m going to attempt to change the vernacular, said specifically for you….Hug a veteran today, especially if you're a supermodel.

Thanks for your service Paul, and for helping keep this country free.

Paul B

NJRC Member
It's getting harder and harder to find a supermodel. I can find some of these. But not really my type.:oops:

And some of them just terrify me. :eek2:

Paul B

NJRC Member
It's a beautiful, foggy morning. As I walk I can just barely make out a large deer walking across the street. She didn't notice me at first.

November walk.jpeg

I kept walking and now the fog is getting thicker. She sees me but doesn't move. She probably doesn't know that I have excellent vision. I have 20/20-"AL" vision. That means my sight is so good that after a couple of cups of coffee, I can see through aluminum. (under an inch thick with no paint on it)

Walk in fog.jpeg

As I neared her she didn't move. As a matter of fact I think she started walking towards me. I was unarmed and normally walk softly but carry a big stick.

I kept getting closer but she was getting bolder and she started snorting at me. Either that, or she had asthma.

I stopped because I didn't know if she wanted to take me home to mate or feed me to her kids.

I like blonds but she was to wild for me so I started waving my arms and stomping my feet.

All of a sudden a Jeep whizzes past me doing about 70mph which scared both me and the deer who turned and ran. I ran the other way. :eek2:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just went to my favorite LFS because one of my wife's doctors is near there. He had a lot of fish but nothing I wanted so I just got another Hectors gobi. I have a bunch of them but for 8 bucks I felt I had to buy something.

I wanted more of these because they are so cool, but he didn't have any. I probably have 5 or 6 of them but those small fish don't account for anything and being they are so small and secretive, you need a lot to see any of them.

I have no idea how many fish I have but I am sure I have way to many but most of them are very small.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I had to go into the hospital today for a spine ablation where they burn nerves around your disks in your back using radio frequency.

On my way home (my wife had to drive) one of my neighbors called to say they ordered dinner for us and it will be delivered.
Then another neighbor is bringing us soup. Another neighbor is also bringing us dinner so I am not sure what we will be having.
But we have the very best and thoughtful neighbors. I can't thank them enough. I love these people :p

Paul B

NJRC Member
I feel much better so far but she said it would take about 6 weeks to see if it works. Right now I think I am still filled with the temporary Lanacaine pain killer so I will see tomorrow but so far, so good as I could barely stand, sit or walk.
She burned both sides of 4 disks so she made 8 small holes.

Our neighbors and friends sent us a Pizza. I froze half of it here, chicken parm, spaghetti and meatballs, garlic knots and salad. Another friend brought us a pot of chicken soup and garlic broccoli and another brought us a pie and home made apple turnovers.

I absolutely love the people we met here 5 years ago when we moved here. It seems like we know them forever. We are planning a big Pre Christmas dinner for all of them in a week or so.

Dinner.jpeg

Paul B

NJRC Member
I don't miss the days when I removed most of my rock to eliminate the sponge. Much of it I put outside in the freezing temperature and it killed it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Then of course I was inundated with dino"s and now algae. The good news is that it is dying and turning white with not much help from me except sucking much of the dead algae out with my diatom filter.

Of course I had to remove the corals and keep them nice and wet and warm

Workshop with rocks.jpeg