• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Jeep Recall

So my wife got this Jeep Cherokee for about a year and we get a recall notice. No problem, so about a month ago I bring it in for the recall. I also told them that the windshield washer was not working (which is the main reason I brought the thing back) I was driving through the snow and sleet with a squeeze bottle of antifreeze out the window so I could spray it and clear the window.

So they fix the 3 recalls and tell me they needed to order the part to fix the windshield washer and they would call me in a few days when it comes in. A month goes by and I call them to see what happened to this part that I figure must come from Bora Bora. The parts guy tells me it came in 3 weeks ago. No one called.

So today I go there for my appointment to put the windshield washer part in. I used to be a General Motors mechanic (Oldsmobile) so I know how these places work and I bring a newspaper because I figure it will take at least 45 minutes.

2 hours and fifteen minutes later they call me that the car is fixed. During that time I read every word in the Daily News including all the advertisements, who is running for what position and what they are calling the other guys, where to get my teeth fixed, who to call to clean my chimney or walk my dog, if I had a dog, which I don't. I also did both crossword puzles, then erased one of them so I could do it again because i was so bored.

They give me my car and I go out to take it. It was pouring raining out but I was glad to finally get the car. I get in and turn on the wipers which work fine. I go to put on the washer, and nothing happens. Then I try the rear one and nothing happens. Now, I am not a happy camper because I just spent two hours and fifteen minutes sitting there ready to eat my chair, and now the thing I brought the car in for still don't work.

So I go inside and get the service manager. I tell him the car is not fixed. He says whats the problem. The windshield washer don't work. He says, what is the matter with the windshield washer? I say, I don't know, what do you think I have been doing here all day? He says, the car was recalled. I say: it was recalled last month but I came here for the windshield washer. Oh, let me find out. So he looks on the paper and right on the top it says, Customer claims the windshield washer does not work. I say, I waited a month for the washer part that came in 3 weeks ago and now it is here. He says, we put in a module that the car was recalled for. I say, you put that in 3 weeks ago so why did you put it in again?

I get the manager and tell her I am not very happy. She offers me a cup of coffee and a bagel. This is New York, I can't swing a dead catfish without hitting at least three bagel stores. I don't want a bagel, I want my windshield washer working. So she runs in the back and finds the mechanic. He opens the hood, then he goes and finds another mechanic, then they get the guy who sweeps the floor. Now 5 people are trying the windshield washer and they determine that it doesn't work. Like Duh, is it me!

Now they are going to give me a loaner car because they have no idea how to fix it and it will take a few days.

I am waiting for the loaner car for 45 minutes because when they "fixed" my car, they closed out the paper work and can't re-open it again because the computer thinks it is fixed.

I finally get the loaner car (and a bagel) and discover that it has just about no gas in it. I tell them so they don't expect me to fill this thing up.

On my way home I put five gallons of gas in it so I don't get stuck. I walk into my house and the phone rings. My car is ready.

Now I drive back the five miles through traffic to get my car. 45 minutes later they get my car and I finally get in and start to drive home. I get one block and stop behind another car and I notice in his reflection that my running lights are not on. This car has a bunch of LED running lights that stay on all the time.

I park the car and get out to see the lights are out. So I take out the owners manual (which is 800 pages) and I search for running lights. Sure enough, they are supposed to be on.

I go back to the dealer (where they look at me in horror and try to run away) and I say the lights don't work. A mechanic comes out and asks me "what did we do to the car". I said, aparently you broke my running lights because you were supposed to fix the washer. So back in the shop for 30 minutes so they could re-program the running lights.

This is why I hate new cars and always buy a used one. But my wife wants a new, but who do you think has to bring it back for all these stupid things?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I personally stay away from anything chrysler, ford has been good to me for the most part, just one recall, had no issues with my mazda. I've had two chrysler products, a dodge nitro which was decent for what it is but as far as fuel rating and ride comfort thats a no. Had a dodge charger where the key and the code reader went faulty, rather than have them charge for the install on that as well, i put it in myself and had the tow truck drag it up onto the truck and to the dealer. The lincoln mkz had a bad rear defroster they did under warranty, the mustang or edge had no issues. The fusion had one recall for the steering, other than that no issues. CX-9 ran just fine, Just picked up a Toyota Sienna a few days ago and the fusion will be going back in exchange for.... a prius, we'll see how they turn out to be. That would be in the last 8 years, lol.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have had about 7 Jeeps and I love them. (I won't buy a foreign car, or a car with a foreign sounding name, it's just me) It is not the cars but the service department. But all service departments do the same thing. About 12 years ago I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee from them and the second day, my wife got stuck. No lights, no noise, nothing. So I said why are you calling me? Call Jeep.

They came and towed the car back to the dealer. They gave me a long list of things they fixed on this car that had 6 miles on it.

Two days go by and my wife gets stuck again. No lights, no noise, nothing. So again, I tell her to call Jeep. They pick up the car and give me another list of things they fixed on this car that had 8 miles on it.

Two days she gets stuck again and I tell her, Don't call Jeep. I tow the car to my house, look through the wiring diagrams in the service manual and find the problem. Near the feet of the front seat passenger there is a panel that comes off to reveal a 100 pin wire connecter that connects everything on the engine to the dash board. One of the pins was bent over so the entire thing wasn't making good contact. I didn't want to straighten the pin because if it broke they would give me a hard time about the warranty and all that. So I made an arrow out of cardboard about 3 feet long. On it I printed: FIX THIS PART AND DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE.

I taped that to the dashboard pointing to the panel that I had left off then I called Jeep to tow the car back.

They told me that because it happened three times, by law they were required to offer me a new car. I said, how new is it going to be? This one only has 9 miles on it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
lemon law, if they can't fix it and you bring it back the third time, they are required to offer you a new one. If you look up toyota, they're actually more american than some american companies are. As for service, first 5 services are free, same warranty as ford, 3 years 36 months bumper to bumper, 5 years 60k powertrain. Service is always easy for me, they have a shuttle service as well if needed.

Paul B

NJRC Member
This Jeep is leased so everything for the 3 years is covered 100%. I really don't care about that, I care that I have to waste so much time at the dealer. That is my wife's car. My car I own and I bought it used like I like cars. About 3 years old is perfect, all the bugs are out of it and it runs fine. After another 6 or 7 years things start to go wrong and I fix them. But it takes me no time to fix something and I would rather do it myself than let some Jiboni work on it. I have never hired anyone to do anything for me in my entire life except dentists and if I could see in there and stand my screaming, I would do that as I don't like the way some of them work. I would never think of letting someone install brakes on my car that I drive my Grand Kids around in. Besides that, something like brakes for all four wheels cost maybe $60.00 to do myself and it takes me an hour or less. If I let a dealer do it, it would take all day and I would take have to take off the wheels to check what they did. :cool:

I have had Jeeps since they were "Man" cars and not just 4 wheel drive Sissy cars. My first real Jeep was a Willys and Willy's was the last "Real" Jeep.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have had about 7 Jeeps and I love them. (I won't buy a foreign car, or a car with a foreign sounding name, it's just me) ..........

Paul, you're starting to sound like my father in law back in the early 70's....true blue American car purchaser. The problem is that they are no longer made here. I purchased a brand new Ford Mustang II in 1976....father in law was happy as hell.....and that Ford had a German engine that ended up being a POC. After the sixth cam....still covered under an extended warranty, I dumped it, promising the Regional Manager that I'd never purchase another Ford again. I currently own a Honda....amongst 8-9 other cars I have. I had to replace the lock actuator and ordered one up.....it didn't fit. I then found out that my Honda was made in three different countries....Japan, England and the USA. The one I owned was made in England....and had a different actuator then others made in different countries.

Jeeps are made in may different countries....Brazil, China, India...to mention a few. And if it was assembled here, I'm willing to bet that most of the parts came from other countries outside the US. There is no such thing as a car made in America anymore. It's sort of sad. God forbid if we break out into an all out war....we won't be able to supply the needs of that war because all that manufacturing has moved out. Bottom line Paul, you don't own an American car....because they don't exist! I'll step off the soapbox now.

That's my two cents!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I am currently in the market for my first jeep. Looking for an older wrangler (1991-2001) that I can beat the crap out of and repair as necessary. Just sent out 3 e-mails to sellers before I opened NJR to find this post. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
Redfishbluefish, I realize that and it is sad. But I still won't buy a Toyota even though it is probably the most American built car there is. To me, Toyota is a Japanese company no matter where it is made. I also won't buy a Mitsubishi even if it was built in my bedroom. It's just me. It has to at least have an American sounding name. :D (Also Mitsubishi is the company that built Japanese Zero planes in WW2)
All of the labor on my cars was done by me and my boat (which I think is mostly American) has so many re-designed parts on it and since I did them, they are American. I have nothing against foreign goods, but I try very hard to buy something built in America. My Majano Wands is mostly built here in Florida. I can't get most of the parts here because they don't exist. But I try. My shoes are made here as many of my clothes, if that is possible. I can't buy any new power tools any more because none of them are built here so I keep fixing my old ones. I also buy American tires which is also not easy, but I still get them. I am a dying breed, I know that and that is sad. If no one bought those goods, we would only have American goods here. But most people buy by price. I don't. :)
Years ago I bought a flagpole for the front of my house. I searched and found an American made flag on an American made pole. I installed the pole and then noticed a tag on the pole that said Made in China. I went crazy and called the company because it clearly stated pole made in America. They wanted to give me $10.00 back and just didn't get the point. I don't care about the price. I have a hard time putting my American Flag and my POW flag on a Chinese post. They gave me some money back but didn't have an American pole. Now that pole is still cemented in front of my house and every time I walk past it I cringe. Things like that drive me crazy. If I find an American pole (and I have time) I will dig that one up and throw it out and install a new one. I know, it's just me. :confused:

Last edited:

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most people don't have the luxury to choose to pay a higher price for american anymore, unfortunately. Personally, i buy myself cheap shoes and clothes so that my kids can get nice things, just one example. Where they are made i have no idea.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
On the subject of Made in America.....I purchase four new filter socks this past week....from eBay....and not only were they a good deal ($5 each with free shipping), they were made in the USA! :D
images

I am with you Paul, I always TRY to buy American. I understand that electronics are rarely made here but you can find some stuff, I found a fan at Walmart of all places made in the US, I ran to the register before the label changed. Growing up in Pittsburgh I saw what happened to the steel mills, which half my family worked at, 70s really sucked as they closed up. I owned one Japanese car, I hated myself everyday until I sold it, 6 Fords one Saturn in my life all with a ton of miles (except the new one and my wife's that gets driven 1 mile to work)

Paul B

NJRC Member
Many years ago when I worked in Manhattan the streets were full of people pushing around racks of clothes that were made on the west side of Manhattan. Now all of those clothing manufacturing plants are lofts that people live in. Singer sewing machine used to have a huge factory there and Steinway Piano had their factory in Queens. Nothing is made here any more. Virtually nothing. When I was a kid and we say something made in japan, we would laugh because it was garbage. Now of course they make fine stuff. I don't want it, but it is good. I really don't care if the guy in Japan, China or Mexico has a job. Here in America we need jobs. It cost more to live in America so our workers have better salaries and we can't compete. It is a problem and many people just can't afford to buy American so all the manufacturers left. I personally am willing to pay more for American goods and would rather do without or make the thing myself. I think it is the Veteran in me but I am not sure. I don't remember how I felt about it before I fought for the country.
It takes my wife and I a long time to go grocery shopping because of this. We like grapes and this time of the year they come from Chili or Argentina. I have no problem with those countries but we eat other things that come from here. The same goes for all produce. Of course if I want bananas, I can't get American Bananas but we eat them anyway. I am not crazy, but I "try" as best we can, when we can. :grin:

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm behind you 100%, but in order to move everything back here, workers would need to be paid more and corporate salaries would take a hit, while making 5 mil instead of 8 mil from my seat i would love 5 mil, but asking someone already making 8 mil to take a hit, i'm pretty sure they'll laugh at you. I'm sure all of their investors would not be pleased as well, since not much is privately owned anymore.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I know. My manufacturer who makes Majano Wands is dying for me to allow him to make them in India. I won't do it and even if I did, it would only reduce the cost by about $2.00 or $3.00 because labor is only one part of the thing. The materials, shipping, insurance, wholesaling and packaging cost much more than the item itself. If I absolutely had to build them in India, I would go out of business first. Of course this is only a hobby for me and not a business. If it were a business I could not make much of a living on it. It could support my hobby, but not much more.
You also have to take into account the cost of the patent, lawyers and the molds. That along came out to over $30,000.00. You have to lay that out without knowing if you will sell anything so it is a risk.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have been adding more and more sponges and gorgs just for a change. I love it.
(I also have been taking a photography course and have no Idea what I am doing)