• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paulie, you are wise enough. I didn't write that entire thing myself. I found it and embelished it but I do like it and believe it.

So I have a question I know a person that has a live bait business that he does in the bay during summer months and one of his targets is grass shrimp that he gets from the beds of eel grass. As he does this he often gets Seahorses in his seine net. My question is do seahorses eat grass shrimp I’m thinking the answer would be yes if small enough because they eat mysis n brine
Would appreciate your thoughts on this

Baby grass shrimp is their main diet around where you live. Of course they can't handle the big ones.
So just finished chapter 8,,, you were discussing importance of proper feeding, and your main staple of a food source is ,, Black Worms. I’d like to start doing this process for simple fact I want happy healthy fish. I have a mixture of a lot of seahorses (16-18 at moment) and 7 fish.A Long Fin Tang,Yellow Crown Goby,Firefish Goby,Lawnmower Blenny,2 Cardinals( that I’ve never seen sleeping)and a Spotted Hawk Fish
My question is would they take to BlackWorms and if so how would I go about introducing them into their diet

So just finished chapter 8,,, you were discussing importance of proper feeding, and your main staple of a food source is ,, Black Worms. I’d like to start doing this process for simple fact I want happy healthy fish. I have a mixture of a lot of seahorses (16-18 at moment) and 7 fish.A Long Fin Tang,Yellow Crown Goby,Firefish Goby,Lawnmower Blenny,2 Cardinals( that I’ve never seen sleeping)and a Spotted Hawk Fish
My question is would they take to BlackWorms and if so how would I go about introducing them into their diet
I know my seahorses are happy because they are mating all the time,,it’s lik a seahorse orgy in the tank.
I currently feed frozen mysis n adult brine, every few days I pour in a little bit of fresh hatched baby brine about 4-5x a day on day they hatch,, I also have a healthy population of copepods

Paul B

NJRC Member
Paulie, Sorry but seahorses and pipefish do not eat worms. I don't know why, but they never do.
I use whiteworms now as I can grow them by the thousands and I can't get blackworms here.
But horses won't eat those either.

Paulie, Sorry but seahorses and pipefish do not eat worms. I don't know why, but they never do.
I use whiteworms now as I can grow them by the thousands and I can't get blackworms here.
But horses won't eat those either.
I was more or less leaning towards the fish I have,, wondered if I could give them (fish) worms and how to start
I think it’s great that I could read this book and then actually ask the author questions on some things that I need clarified

Paul B

NJRC Member
Paulie I brought white worms to that meeting, you should have taken some. :)
You can just order a starter culture of worms on line. Google them, they are about $15.00.
You put them in potting soil, keep them very damp and feed dry cat food. Then multiply like crazy but I also know you can get fresh clams and chop them up which is just as good.

Paulie I brought white worms to that meeting, you should have taken some. :)
You can just order a starter culture of worms on line. Google them, they are about $15.00.
You put them in potting soil, keep them very damp and feed dry cat food. Then multiply like crazy but I also know you can get fresh clams and chop them up which is just as good.
Thank you for all advice,, you’re a fountain of information

Paul B

NJRC Member
In these tough times My wife and I have been trying to get innovative and to do things that don't involve other people, or at least not other people that have to get to close.

This week we played a few Scrabble and Monopoly games that I had to dig out of mothballs.
We do a crossword puzzle at night and we also have a WII game, which is on the TV and we can play golf
(I hate golf), tennis, boat racing and a few others.

I touched up some paint that my wife has been telling me to do for a while. :rolleyes:

We take a walk or I ride my bicycle.
I have hobbies and a nice workshop/Man cave so I could occupy myself forever but my wife can't. Her hobbies all involve exercise, mostly in a gym which of course are closed now.

I don't want to leave her alone to much because she is already to depressed that she can't do any of her things (her MS medication increases depression) and now she has a big leg brace which she hates. But in the scope of things, it's better than what a lot of people have to endure.

All in All the people around here all seem happy and are coping.
WE were donating food (bagels) to a hospital until our Daughter yelled at us to stay home so now all we can do is call a restaurant and have them deliver it to them.

I don't know if we will do that today. The "older" people here are all living with someone so they are taken care of.

I will see how many times I can wash my car today and clean the glass on my tank. My fish are getting mad at me as they are tired of looking at my face. ;Wideyed
But it's the entire world which doesn't make it sound any better.

Early in the morning I always turn on the TV to see if the thing peaked yet, and as we know, it has not. Here in New York our hospitals are filling up and they have tents in the parking lot for the overflow.

Thankfully the children aren't affected as much. Our Grand Kids left Manhattan and are in Vermont on top of a mountain far away from anyone except cows. Thank God for Skype.

It should peak soon (we hope) and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy,

In these tough times My wife and I have been trying to get innovative and to do things that don't involve other people, or at least not other people that have to get to close.

This week we played a few Scrabble and Monopoly games that I had to dig out of mothballs.
We do a crossword puzzle at night and we also have a WII game, which is on the TV and we can play golf
(I hate golf), tennis, boat racing and a few others.

I touched up some paint that my wife has been telling me to do for a while. :rolleyes:

We take a walk or I ride my bicycle.
I have hobbies and a nice workshop/Man cave so I could occupy myself forever but my wife can't. Her hobbies all involve exercise, mostly in a gym which of course are closed now.

I don't want to leave her alone to much because she is already to depressed that she can't do any of her things (her MS medication increases depression) and now she has a big leg brace which she hates. But in the scope of things, it's better than what a lot of people have to endure.

All in All the people around here all seem happy and are coping.
WE were donating food (bagels) to a hospital until our Daughter yelled at us to stay home so now all we can do is call a restaurant and have them deliver it to them.

I don't know if we will do that today. The "older" people here are all living with someone so they are taken care of.

I will see how many times I can wash my car today and clean the glass on my tank. My fish are getting mad at me as they are tired of looking at my face. ;Wideyed
But it's the entire world which doesn't make it sound any better.

Early in the morning I always turn on the TV to see if the thing peaked yet, and as we know, it has not. Here in New York our hospitals are filling up and they have tents in the parking lot for the overflow.

Thankfully the children aren't affected as much. Our Grand Kids left Manhattan and are in Vermont on top of a mountain far away from anyone except cows. Thank God for Skype.

It should peak soon (we hope) and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy,
I’m hearing ya brother,, stay well my friend and keep that young lady occupied, online shopping can bankrupt a fellow

Paul B

NJRC Member
I learned a lot from my friend Jimmy. Jimmy was about 15 years older than me and had been totally blind from a child.
He couldn't even see light and I used to go to work with him in Manhattan every day on the Railroad.

He easily could have stayed home with his totally blind wife but he chose to go to work.
The guy had a great sense of life and never once did I ever hear him complain. He also had severe arthritis and could hardly hold his cane.

As we would wait in Penn Station for the train he would often say "What does she look like?"
I would say "Who". He would say "The Lady who just walked by".

He could smell her. I would say she was nice looking, pretty or plain. He told me that "I" am at a disadvantage because I had to look at everybody. But he imagined everyone to look like Marilyn Monroe or someone beautiful that he had seen before he lost his sight.

I was at a loss! What insight!, I couldn't believe it but he was totally right. He based how he felt about people by their manner, not their race, color, hair cut etc. No prejudice at anyone at all.

He would not to go work in the snow and I figured it was because he was afraid of falling. But I was wrong. Jimmy lived in the middle of a long block with all the houses evenly spaced. I never knew how he found his house.

He told me he would "Listen" to the echo's from the trees. He could hear them as he walked by and so many steps after the last tree he turned left onto his walkway. I was blown away. The snow muffled the echo so he couldn't find his house.

He once asked me to fix his electric grinder. It scared me even thinking this man used a grinder. He said it blew the fuse when he turned it on.

So I go to his basement with him, turn on the light and look at the grinder. The fuse blew and the light went out.

As I was standing in the pitch dark basement, Jimmy said, whats wrong. I said, it's dark in here. He said, it's always dark in here. (like Duh)

So I stupidly said, Do you have a flashlight? He said "Why would I own a flashlight?" (Again, like Duh).

They transferred his job to Brooklyn. The man barely made it to Manhattan but to get to Brooklyn he had to change trains at Penn Station and go many more stops.
One day someone accidentally kicked the cane from him during rush hour, he fell down and with everyone running he couldn't get up or find his cane. I wasn't with him, but I never seen him again. He was old then so I am sure he is gone now.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Jimmy's wife was beautiful and blind from birth. They met at a school for the blind. Her hobby was collecting Lladro figurines.
Like Really. She has never seen them but when she picked one up, she could tell you everything about it and she had maybe 20 of them.

They owned their own home and it was spotless. When she gave you a cup of coffee she put her thumb in the cup as she filled it and removed it just before the hot coffee burned her.

She said to my wife one day "I really love the spring colors"
My wife incredulously said "Dorothy, I am sorry, but I have to ask, how do you know the spring colors?"

Dorothy said, I can feel the temperature difference. She could tell you what colors she had on. I mean she couldn't tell a dark red from a light one, but she knew it was red. I was blown away by those fantastic people.

They had a Son who could see about 15 years old, but I could tell he was born to blind parents. The kid had almost no facial expressions, he didn't look at you when he spoke and little things like that. Of course it wasn't his fault as his parents never saw him or made eye contact.

Paul B

NJRC Member
This is a shot through the back of my tank after I scrapped it clean. It's a mass of sponges.

I also got two of these guys there, very hard to photograph.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
That is a nice fish. Is it a court jester goby? Does it stay in the open or spend most of it's time hiding?

Paul B

NJRC Member
This Morning we got "take out" from a diner and went to a local beach and drove almost up to the crashing waves.
Then I took out my DIY hand sanitizer and cleaned my hands and steering wheel, radio, turn signal etc and opened the breakfast cartons and coffee.

We had a nice breakfast and found a dumpster to dump the cartons. Then I took another sanitizer and cleaned our hands, steering wheel etc and made sure we didn't touch our face.

While there we saw a young girl, about 20, walk in front of my car and sit on the rocks near us. It was raining and as she started to leave we noticed that she had on a Fordham shirt. Our Daughter graduated Fordham 20 years ago and just went back there for Law School.

We rolled down the window and commented on her shirt and told her our Daughter goes there.
She was very polite and nice and said her brother goes to Fordham and she was going to The Annapolis Naval Academy.
I said that was fantastic. Then she said she got into "West Point Military academy " which blew me away as that is the best school in the country, maybe the world. I was so impressed by this young Lady. :giggle: I love to see someone like that, someone who will make a difference in the world. Someone with respect, social graces and brains. She saw my Viet Nam Veteran hat and thanked me for my service. Fantastic girl and I hope I see her again as I would love to talk to her more.

We took a nice ride and found neighborhoods and places with in a mile or two from our home that we didn't even know existed.

We looked at all the homes, most of which are impeccably neat and landscaped beautifully. Of course we also notice the homes that we would give a summons to if we were the Landscape Police :cool: But we find very few of those.

I also notice all the people here that display an American Flag, as I always do and it makes me happy to see so many Patriotic families especially in times like these. Some people even put up Christmas lights to raise spirits.

I think Americans at least, will come out of this better, stronger and nicer and maybe with all this money going into medical research they will come up with cures for the diseases that will still be here when the virus leaves. Things like cancer, heart disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkensons and others. We should not forget about those people who have afflictions besides this.

But right now, rightfully so we have to focus on the disease at hand. Here in New York we are not doing to good, but I am sure this will pass and hopefully we won't lose many more, or any more great people :)

That was actually the beach where I collect water. The girl was sitting on those rocks.