• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
We have a closing date of the 21st of this month but I will still live here for a few weeks and pay rent. This may work out very well because if my house ever gets finished I will be able to move my fish there while I still live here. Thats the new plan. I wanted to build a large rock to support my reef on but I am having hand surgery Monday so I won't be able to use it or wave to anyone for a couple of weeks.
rolleyes.gif

One more thing, I may keep my nitrates up high as my gorgonians, sponges, fish and most of the rest of my corals including three SPS corals are thriving fantastically. They are practically growing out of the tank. I am interested to see what else will live so nice with 160 nitrates.
biggrin.gif

I am tired of talking to myself, is this thing on?

My algae scrubber flows into a PVC pipe then down into the UG filter manifold.
I realize all you Noobs don't do it this way, (or have any Idea what I am talking about) but I like to be different.

There is at least one old timer still around who has run a reverse flow UG filter. I have also gone the other way! (Awaiting snide comments!)

Paul B

NJRC Member
The new place is just about finished but it will take a few weeks to inspect it, I am guessing we will move the second week in June.
My boat just got out to the new marina today and should be in the water Monday. I will go out there (using my good left hand) and clean the thing and possibly take a ride to check out the Peconic which I only boated on once.

My Daughter sent me this old picture of when my friends and me used to fix old cars and sell them. This Simca we got for $10.00 but I forgot what we sold it for. This was about 1966.

I am the good looking one with the hair on the roof.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I put some new rocks together today but couldn't finish the thing. It should be almost 3' long and will support my entire reef structure, or 3' of it anyway. I couldn't build the entire thing the way I wanted so i am just putting some large rocks together with stainless steel screws, epoxy and cement. I know a lot of people are afraid of stainless steel but those people are Sissy Snowflake Girly Men or maybe Ladies or little girls. :rolleyes: I love stainless steel and wish I could get all my rocks made out of the stuff.
I will have to try to finish it using only my left hand but I didn't figure out yet how I will drill the rocks with my feet or my left hand. I won't be able to use my right hand for 3 weeks but I need to get the thing done so I can soak it for a week or two before I move. I really want to get this thing done but I can't see how that will happen. Maybe i will just rubber band all the rocks together. :eek:

I am trying to get all the use out of my hand now before they operate so i am sitting near my window waving at all the people walking by.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Being I will only
Have my left hand
to type, i will only
be able to type
on the left side of the page :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
OK Surgery over. All seems well and I can use one finger on my right hand because he put in a nerve block. But he put it in one hour and 59 minutes ago and it only lasts 2 hours so i may not be able to finish. The nurses were Fantas.........

Uh UH, it is wearing off. OUCH %$#&(@##$^ OUCH Thats all Folks. :disgust:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thank you Diana
Hand surgery is really Sissy Girly Man surgery and I am almost embarassed that I had it. Man surgery is when they tear off your hand and send it out for repairs.
Grand Marnier and a pain pill works wonders :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
The Dr. told me I can't lift anything heavier than a tea cup for 3 weeks due to the stitches going across my palm. ;Nurse But I don't drink tea so I assume that doesn't apply to me. :) I tried to do some work on the rock structure I am building for the new tank and I mixed the cement with my left hand but had some trouble putting the cement on the rocks.. The rocks are heavy and to try to put them in position to be cemented is not easy with my right hand all bandaged up. I pre drilled the rocks and epoxied in stainless steel threaded rods before the surgery so I need to put cement on the parts that touch, then push the rocks together and smear more cement on. But this thing weighs about 10lbs now and I can't seem to get them to stay in position because I need to lift the entire thing, both parts and put bricks under it for support until the cement dries.

My foot doesn't quite reach up to the top of my garage workbench and I tasted the cement and it doesn't taste to good so I can't use my tongue. :sour:

Paul B

NJRC Member
So far I have this. Built it out of 8 smaller rocks held together with stainless steel threaded rod, epoxy and cement. The right end I built with my left hand and knee. :rolleyes:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
It looks like a long dog. Head (I see an eye, nose, mouth and neck) is on the right side and front paws on the right side of the wood block. I wonder what I would see if I had a glass of Port :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
You are right, I see it now. That piece on the right is not cemented on yet and probably won't go there. It is really just laying behind the piece, there is another one back there too. I need a few more pieces to finish what I am planning and that piece of wood won't go in my tank. :cool:
It will also probably have a broken bottle attached to it someplace. :confused:

Hi Paul. Can I ask a random question? Do you have a recommendation for a DE filter. I think using one after you disturb your sand bed is a great idea. There is a pretty good chance that you built your own. Since your the only one I know of that uses one, I thought you’d be the guy to ask.

Paul B

NJRC Member
David, I use a Vortex Diatom filter. I know other companies make them but I don't know anything about them. I have about 5 of them, mostly for parts to make others work. They are not built very well.

Paul B

NJRC Member
It seems that some corals actually like nitrates of 160 and Phosphates of 2.0.
I have 2 duncans for quite some time and they both are smiling so much if they tilted their head, their brains would fall out. I tell that to my Grand Daughter, Greta and she slowly says "I am tilting my head".
They also eat live worms a couple of times a week.

I don't know exactly what this is but it seems to be some sort of gorgonian. It also seems very happy.

This is some sort of hard coral and grew in 6 months from a tiny frag. (thanks Andy, get me more)

I look for opportunities to put her picture up