• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Crash good or bad?

So today my 55g sprung a leak at the bottom of the tank. So the only option I had was get a new tank and replace it and hope for the best. The First shot is a shot I took yesterday before the crash the other are after the crash.

PANO_20141225_225243[1].jpgIMG_20141226_221124[1].jpgIMG_20141227_010120[1].jpgIMG_20141227_010116[1].jpgIMG_20141227_010112[1].jpg

After 6 hours and loads of help from my family my tank is back up, and as you can see looks a lot better then before, and I don't know why. The lights look a lot better on here then before, the corals are popping more then anything, the corals that I had trouble with like my anemones and my hammer coral are now out after literally 5 seconds of putting them in my water. It's crazy, before the crash the anemones were hiding and the hammer looked so bad. Now its just out and about.

Can this be because of the about 30g water change I did? I did use most of same water from before and and kept the fish in buckets like you see above but like I don't know why it looks like this now. The only thing I cleaned was the sand that I rinsed some tab water before I put it back into the new tank. Can this be just that I was not doing enough water changes? I did 5 gallons every week, but never dosed anything, only thing I tested for was alk and it was always 7-8 dkh. My Parameters were also perfect. So can this be that I took a lot of rocks out or what? Maybe it was my lighting schedule too? I usually have my lights on from blues: 12pm-12am colors 2pm-10:30pm. And today the corals only had light from 2pm-5pm. Should I maybe lean back on the lighting schedule?

Just wonder for anyone's input on how to keep it looking this good. Should I be doing more water in my water changes or start dosing??

You probably mixed up some nutrients and everyone is feeding. Watch for a spike to your nitrates or phos as it can swing bad for your sps. You may want. To up your water change to 5 gal 2times a week. That what I did for my 55 and the corals thrived.IMHO

Yeah I was thinking about bumping up my water changes to 10 gallons every week or 25 every 2 weeks. I usually make a bucket of 25 gallons of saltwater, so Im still debating if 10 gallons every week is better then once every 2 weeks. I will also try the 5 gallons twice for this week and the next. And see that will probably kill and spikes that I get from the new tank.

Right now everyone survived and the corals are out and open. So hopefully we will see what happens in a few more days.

Yes probably a combination of water change and moving nutrients around. Should keep up the water changes and if you don't run carbon would suggest it for a while.

I am running carbon and going to try keeping up with 20g water changes every week. Hopefully that keeps everything looking good and hopefully adds enough calcium and alk to make me not dose anything :encouragement:

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Really watch the phosphate. I transferred my old tank that was doing great to a 93 cube back in August. I'm inly now getting back to normal. Test regularly and run some gfo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk