• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Lighting question

Hi,
I have been keeping a tank in a high school in Pennington and it is flourishing. It is a 75 gal with a sump that is 29 gal. The compact flouresent that has been going for the last couple of years is about gone (probably the starter). I am getting ready to buy two 30 watt skkye light tablets to replace the lighting. The tank is about 24 inches deep. Do you think that will work? I have some soft coral about half way down and very little on the bottom. I am trying to save money, but if it's not adequate for my needs, I may be wasting the money. Any thoughts?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not enough like and not powerful enough. I believe these are approximately 1 watt LEDs and that won’t penetrate 24 inches of water. It’s my opinion, you’ll need a minimum of 3 watt LED’s…..and a lot more wattage.

Have you looked at ReefBreeders. Quality LED fixtures at reasonable cost.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think those could work for what you have in the tank now, but I think you could do better for the money that they cost. Check out this fixture: http://reefbreeders.com/photon48.html

They are also having a group buy on RC that you could get in on. The only thing is that you may not receive the order until sometime in January.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could save a few bucks by picking up two of THESE....way more than enough light for a 75. The only difference between the Value fixtures and the Photon is that the controls for the value fixture are potentiometer knobs. The Photon comes with it's own controller.