• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Moving

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy,

It's time to move my tank (s) I want to get everyone's experiences and tips so I can complete this task with no headaches.

I am moving the tank 30 miles, not a long trip, but a decent one. I am going home this week to grab the water makeup station so I can ensure I can successfully make water prior to the fishies coming home. I plan on re-using exactly what I have until I decide the final configuration of the fish area so I am not paying for plumbing twice.

My one tank is a 30 AIO tank with 4 rocks all of which will fit in buckets - this one should be pretty straight forward. I plan on putting each rock in a bucket and filling it several inches from the top to prevent spilling and put a sealed lid. I will put my two clownfish in the same bucket, my two cardinals in another bucket, my dottyback in it's own bucket, my gobby in it's own bucket, my manderin in it's on bucket. That should result in all the water, fish and rocks. The tank will be put in my car and will include the sand, and sand only. The stand will get put in the back of my dad's truck. My thought is that for such a short ride they shouldn't need aerators or heating. When I get to my house, the stand will be set and the tank will be set on top and it's just a matter of siphoning the water and fish back in.

My other tank is a frag system no real rocks, mostly just water. This tank has a shrimp and a fish that escapes me at the moment. This tank should be very easy too. Similar to above.

Does anyone have tips or tricks?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Yes, why?
I'd just wash it with salt water until almost clear- I moved a 13g from one room to another and had major problems- cyano, dinos- my new tank- a 75- I did use the sand from the old tank- a 28g, but rinsed it and added it to new live sand and haven't had any issues

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I'd just wash it with salt water until almost clear- I moved a 13g from one room to another and had major problems- cyano, dinos- my new tank- a 75- I did use the sand from the old tank- a 28g, but rinsed it and added it to new live sand and haven't had any issues
Did you remove the sand? I don't plan on disturbing the sand really. Additionally, I turnover the sand every 3 weeks when I do my water changes.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Did you remove the sand? I don't plan on disturbing the sand really. Additionally, I turnover the sand every 3 weeks when I do my water changes.
I didn't remove the sand- I wasn't as good as you with the sand- it was a 13g- you should be good

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would go with new sand and seed with a cup or two of sand from old tank. I upgraded from a 55g to 75g once. I washed the old sand and ended up algae problems as stated above.

You could also go with no sand as it’s a old system and probably this will provide you a better exporting method.
im thinking about this my self as I need to move my system as well!!

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I would go with new sand and seed with a cup or two of sand from old tank. I upgraded from a 55g to 75g once. I washed the old sand and ended up algae problems as stated above.
I'm transporting the tank with the sand in place, it shouldn't be disturbed at all really.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
You could also go with no sand as it’s a old system and probably this will provide you a better exporting method.
im thinking about this my self as I need to move my system as well!!
My frag tank is bare bottom and it resulted in more issues than the sand. Granted the tank is mostly just frags, it's understocked bio wise. I just like the look of the sand.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Howdy,

It's time to move my tank (s) I want to get everyone's experiences and tips so I can complete this task with no headaches.

I am moving the tank 30 miles, not a long trip, but a decent one. I am going home this week to grab the water makeup station so I can ensure I can successfully make water prior to the fishies coming home. I plan on re-using exactly what I have until I decide the final configuration of the fish area so I am not paying for plumbing twice.

My one tank is a 30 AIO tank with 4 rocks all of which will fit in buckets - this one should be pretty straight forward. I plan on putting each rock in a bucket and filling it several inches from the top to prevent spilling and put a sealed lid. I will put my two clownfish in the same bucket, my two cardinals in another bucket, my dottyback in it's own bucket, my gobby in it's own bucket, my manderin in it's on bucket. That should result in all the water, fish and rocks. The tank will be put in my car and will include the sand, and sand only. The stand will get put in the back of my dad's truck. My thought is that for such a short ride they shouldn't need aerators or heating. When I get to my house, the stand will be set and the tank will be set on top and it's just a matter of siphoning the water and fish back in.

My other tank is a frag system no real rocks, mostly just water. This tank has a shrimp and a fish that escapes me at the moment. This tank should be very easy too. Similar to above.

Does anyone have tips or tricks?
i moved 2 tanks this year easy peasy went to home depot got 10x 5g buckets = 50g of water
put all my rock into 3 buckets with water to the rim used the matching lids to seal it in there
too all my fish and all the water into the rest of the buckets
slid my tank onto a piece of 1 inch ply wood cut i did so the sand doesnt cave the bottom in while moving around
left the sand in the tank with about 2-3 inches of water over it wasnt too heavy

drove for an hour with the tank in the back setup the stand moved the plywood next to the stand pushed the tank over done...
added some water then the rock then more water then the fish / corals
turned the pumps on heating on good to go dont over think it

did this twice now...
will be moving my 75g tank soon from one room to the other same thing pretty straight forward ... ima remove 3/4th of the water shim the side of the tank add sliders shim the other side add slides slowly slide the tank to the other room shiim the sliders add skims to gain level back and thats it add the water back simple..

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
your sand is basically 50% of your bio filter imo
rock your never changing so that bio always can be moved around once you get rid of sand and re add new stand your literally reentering a new cycle which will turn ugly ask me how i know.. lol

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
i moved 2 tanks this year easy peasy went to home depot got 10x 5g buckets = 50g of water
put all my rock into 3 buckets with water to the rim used the matching lids to seal it in there
too all my fish and all the water into the rest of the buckets
slid my tank onto a piece of 1 inch ply wood cut i did so the sand doesnt cave the bottom in while moving around
left the sand in the tank with about 2-3 inches of water over it wasnt too heavy

drove for an hour with the tank in the back setup the stand moved the plywood next to the stand pushed the tank over done...
added some water then the rock then more water then the fish / corals
turned the pumps on heating on good to go dont over think it

did this twice now...
will be moving my 75g tank soon from one room to the other same thing pretty straight forward ... ima remove 3/4th of the water shim the side of the tank add sliders shim the other side add slides slowly slide the tank to the other room shiim the sliders add skims to gain level back and thats it add the water back simple..
Thanks for the tips! I am very excited, going home Wednesday to get my water system set up and running! I really don't feel nervous about moving the tanks, I have gone through the process so many times in my head. I like your idea about plywood to offer support - I will take that into consideration.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Upgraded the fish circuits from 14 gauge to 12 gauge last night, with 3 dedicated outlets. Only for the temporary location as I get closer to finishing the basement, I will run two completely unique circuits.

I am going home to pick up the entire water makeup system tonight. Let the fun begin.