• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank not cycling

I've had my tank set up for about 5 or 6 weeks I have added 80 lbs of dry sand 80 lbs of dry rock I dropped 2 clams in for the ammonia spike and to start the cycle I have seen the ammonia drop a bit but could there be something I'm doing wrong any help would be great oh I forgot to add my tank is a 75 gallon display and 30 gal sump

Add some Dr Timms bacteria or some other flavor. Since all was dead it may take longer. Another option is to get a seed rock from a fellow reefer.

If you want to put two damsels in there to run the cycle I'll take them from you it's done if you don't want them.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
You don't say how high your ammonia is, but there is a point where the ammonia is too high to start a cycle. It will start eventually but a water change should help get it to a point where it will get going. I've never used the additives but others have and say it works well. Adding live rock at this point might just kill of everything on it and add to the problem. As to adding fish to a tank with high ammonia I don't even know how to respond to that.

Wow Lostinthe dark I love people in this hobby that know what's best and aren't afraid to be derogatory about it, cool

falconut

NJRC Member
I think more information might be needed to determine where you're at in your cycle. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels. My initial tank took maybe 6 - 8 weeks to fully cycle. Never seemed like it was ever going to complete.

Just hang in there, you're good. The nitrate turn goes quickly so you're still within the parameters. Every cycle is different.

falconut

NJRC Member
There is no no2 or no3 all read zero

Sounds odd that the ammonia would drop without any increase in either NO2 or NO3. From my experience the Ammonia drops and the NO2 starts to rise. If the NO2 is still 0, sounds like you're still waiting for the ammonia bacteria to build up. It sounds like you're doing everything right, just need to wait longer. That part is the worst.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My sump lights are on my display off moonlight only

Turn your display lights on.

I have a theory that I will investigate when I go back to school for Marine Biology (some day). But I believe the nitrification bacteria require light to process the ammonia into nitrites.

I put some rock in bucket with a powerhead and the ammonia went up, and up, and up while nitrites and nitrates were both 0. The ammonia was so high, the test normally turns from off yellow to green, my test turned blue!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually normal. There's a lag time between the ammonia dropping and nitrites being produced. It takes time between the bacteria absorbing the ammonia and the nitrite bi-products that follows. It shouldn't take more than a week.

Sounds odd that the ammonia would drop without any increase in either NO2 or NO3. From my experience the Ammonia drops and the NO2 starts to rise. If the NO2 is still 0, sounds like you're still waiting for the ammonia bacteria to build up. It sounds like you're doing everything right, just need to wait longer. That part is the worst.

Last edited:
Here is an update on my tank not cycling . I read some more on the whole process on what takes place during and after . I think my problem was I had my skimmer running and a pad to collect particles was hurting me keep the nitrifying bacteria in the tank n working . So I decided I'm going to take out the pads n turn off my skimmer and I'm going to add ammonia to the tank see if that works .

ah yes, skimming during a cycle defeats it by taking away the stuff that's supposed to feed the ammonia eating bacteria. there you go.

Here is an update on my tank not cycling . I read some more on the whole process on what takes place during and after . I think my problem was I had my skimmer running and a pad to collect particles was hurting me keep the nitrifying bacteria in the tank n working . So I decided I'm going to take out the pads n turn off my skimmer and I'm going to add ammonia to the tank see if that works .

That sounds like a good plan.
You may or may not need to add the ammonia at this point, it is really your choice. You can add ammonia, and create a cycle, or you can allow the existing ammonia to be consumed by bacteria from an instant cycle product, it will help to populate your tank and it will feed on both the existing ammonia and the ammonia produced when you add livestock.
I would turn on your lights for a daylight cycle, but that is just my personal opinion. I've never cycled a tank "dark", so I really can't speak to whether it is or is not effective.