• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank temps for sps keepers

I was wondering what the tank temps are kept for all you sps and mixed reef enthusiasts? I keep mine at 77-78.

I was at 79-81 or so when I ran the T-5's. Since I changed to the LEDs the tank has been sitting in the 75-76 range. Been thinking of ticking it up a bit though. Just seems cold to me when my hands are in the tank. Corals have big missed a beat though.

thats a good range right where your at zippy I learned by keeping it high say 82-84 which is closer to where a natural reef temp would be. in a closed system it could go up higher faster and there would be no buffer to allow that. Unless you go chiller/heater year round. I personally am not going to do that.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My heater is set to come on at 76.5F and off at 77.0F (see Paul, you do influence some of us.)

I don't have a chiller though and sometimes the tank creeps up to 80-82F. But I have a fan that kicks in at 81F so it keeps it below 80F for the most part.

Looking at my history log, I'd say on average mine stays between 76.5-77.1F.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My tank avg 78.9 degrees. and swings between 78 and 81 depending on ambient temps

Wow, I'm starting to wonder if I should bump my tank up. Ive never noticed any issue running cooler but is 72/73 too low?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, I'm starting to wonder if I should bump my tank up. Ive never noticed any issue running cooler but is 72/73 too low?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

If your tank looks like your avatar, then I'd say don't mess with it. ;)

If your tank looks like your avatar, then I'd say don't mess with it. ;)

+1 on that ..if you have deep water stuff then temp is cooler.
Mine is 76.4 pretty consistant...summer it heads higher but with the LED I only remember a couple days when it was over 80 this year. (When the wife opened all the windows and the house got warmish)

Mine swings between 78 and 82 depending on the season, house temp, etc. I have a 6x36 t5 fixture set into an enclosed canopy I made which drove the heat up. I used to use a chiller but since have added computer fans to export the trapped heat in the canopy.

I actually would not mind it being cooler in the tank (75-76) but I think that won't happen until I get LEDs for it

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I remember having this conversation with smcooler, and he said he had some amazing growth down as low as 71-72. We run our around 75-76 and our very happy with it, gives us a buffer either way. I think if you run too hot, you are playing with fire (Burn!).

For those who don't want ancedotal, but actual science: There was a study done with growing SPS under different temps (I believe this was printed in coral magazine, but I am striking out on google) and they found that 78 was the ideal temp. However, if you swung 2 degrees either way, the drop off was so negligable, that it is not even statistically significant.