• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tanked cancelled - about freaking time

The problem is actually Animal Planet itself. Used to be an educational show about wildlife now it is a reality tv show that randomly has wildlife. Such a shame really.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I work in midtown and go to see the tank in the Kimberly hotel. Even met the maintenance guy once. It’s a nice tank that I can enjoy during work break. There are some nice fish in there but most of them just die after a few months due to starvation. However there is a regal angel in there for a few years now that has been thriving and a harlequin tusk that growing bigger.

9b6cef04e75696026169a00c55ecfd74.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Take a look at reef2reef’s Instagram page and see Brett’s true colors. I had heard from people who worked with him that he wasn’t very nice but the posts there solidify it. A very narcissistic man.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I liked the show, even though its basically the same concept every time. real reefers can setup tanks way better, but it's all entertainment. I met them in Vegas when I was out there. they are really friendly and kool guys. I met Brett, wade, agnes, and the general. I also met the guy who doesnt get any recognition, yet plays a huge role in the company, bert. he's a Filipino artist that draws ALL the designs first before they begin making molds. they give him the idea, and he draws the tank. 15 seasons is a lot longer than anyone could have imagined. they have lots of clients, and they are also designing their own brand of tanks for the average consumer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I liked the show, even though its basically the same concept every time. real reefers can setup tanks way better, but it's all entertainment. I met them in Vegas when I was out there. they are really friendly and kool guys. I met Brett, wade, agnes, and the general. I also met the guy who doesnt get any recognition, yet plays a huge role in the company, bert. he's a Filipino artist that draws ALL the designs first before they begin making molds. they give him the idea, and he draws the tank. 15 seasons is a lot longer than anyone could have imagined. they have lots of clients, and they are also designing their own brand of tanks for the average consumer.

here's some pics
8d210a604e9f46b44a5145c5a83c77ea.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
I don't care about the show one way or another. It's a show, you can switch channels. But I volunteer at the Long Island Aquarium (very rarely, OK once) and they have a nurse shark there. It is about 8' long. It was put in a home tank as a baby of a cast member of Saturday Night Live. (I forgot his name, the black comedian )
The thing did what sharks do and grew. He donated it to the aquarium.
Oh, Tracy Morgan. I just remembered.

I like the show. Really creative, fun tanks. Could do without the drama nonsense but they were having fun in the hobby.
Brett's post is awful, but I guess it's frustrating to see people in the hobby reject what he's been working on for the past fifteen years. People need to lighten up--both his critics and him. They had a great run, seem to have built a very successful business, and got a lot of people's imaginations going about reefing.
Sad to see it go but I assume re-runs will go on a long time.

His instagram post proves my take on them is correct. Don't like them never will. The hobby wasn't saved by them at all. How many people who started a tank because of that show still have it 10 years later? My guess would be less than 5%. Finding Nemo did more for the hobby than these knuckleheads.

As I stated before, if Animal Planet went back to educating its viewers on wildlife, including reefs and other aquatic creatures, then I am fine with Tanked, but it is a reality show, period end of story.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
His instagram post proves my take on them is correct. Don't like them never will. The hobby wasn't saved by them at all. How many people who started a tank because of that show still have it 10 years later? My guess would be less than 5%. Finding Nemo did more for the hobby than these knuckleheads.

As I stated before, if Animal Planet went back to educating its viewers on wildlife, including reefs and other aquatic creatures, then I am fine with Tanked, but it is a reality show, period end of story.

5% is to high. Probably less than 1%.

I don’t disagree with anything you said, they certainly did not save the hobby, what an outrageous statement. And you’re right-it’s a reality show, but the only one I’ve enjoyed because their creations for the most part were pretty cool. I enjoyed the show despite their flaws, which is an appropriate caveat about most people/things I’ve grown to like.

Last edited: