• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Temperature

Anyone have a feel for what the low-end temperature range is for coral?

I am entering my first winter season with my system, which has the sump in an unheated garage. So far I've been able to keep it above 75F, but I fear heroic measures may be needed when it gets really cold.

I've got 650 watts of heaters in the sump. I'm gonna cut some pink styrofoam insulation to go around the sump, and I have an acrylic cover made to limit evaporation.

So how cold do you think it can get?

Jim, I found this on Reef Central:

""What temperature is best? (uh oh)"

"Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman (page 349) cites reef temperatures as having a minimum average across all tested reefs of 70F, a maximum average across all tested reefs of 86F, and an average temperature across all tested reefs of 82F. In light of this, it is recommended that you maintain your aquarium inside of this range. RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) in stony corals seems to be linked to higher temperatures. Most people prefer to run their tanks between 79F and 82F
"

Here's the entire link:
http://www.reefcentral.com/FAQ/general/index.php#temperature

Its 75 now?

It has not even been that cold outside

Steve68 has his sumps in his Garage
I do not think he ever opens his Garage doors in the winter
Maybe you could make a room around the tanks so the heat does not dissipate

Jason

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I keep my tank at 79. My sump is in the basement and in the winter the basement is about 55 degrees, and I only keep my house temp at 68.

What I have done that has saved significantly on the heaters running all the time, is in the winter I tape hard styofoam insulation boards around the glass of the sump in the basement.

pgordemer said:
I keep my tank at 79. My sump is in the basement and in the winter the basement is about 55 degrees, and I only keep my house temp at 68.

What I have done that has saved significantly on the heaters running all the time, is in the winter I tape hard styofoam insulation boards around the glass of the sump in the basement.

I didn't think I'd need to do that so soon, but I think it's gonna be today.