• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

test kits

i was looking to purchase some new acurate test kits. I was looking into lamote i've heard they are very good. I've also heard some good things about salifert and hanna. anyone have any experience.

In my opinion, if money is no object, the LaMote test kits are excellent. They are very expensive. Sailfert are generally an ok "hobby grade" test kit. Elos test kits are similar to the Sailfert, but use glass test tubes, rather than plastic cups. Elos can be difficult to find. Some of the Seachem test kits are also ok. So are some of the Tetra test kits. I'm not a big fan of most of the other brands. It's no so much that they don't work, but that often the ranges are too high for reef keeping, especially for "pollution items" like phosphate and nitrate.

I have not used Hatch or Hana test kits, so I can't comment on them from personal experience.

On important thing to keep in mind, if you get a reading from a test kit that seems way off, where possible, confirm it with another test kit that uses a different method of testing. Next best thing is to confirm it with a test kit made by someone else. Do not make major water parameter changes without being sure you need them. It's easy to throw a reef system out of chemical balance by adding things you don't need.