• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

THANK YOU to those who ONLY sell CB Banggai Cardinals

I want to start a public thread to whole-heartedly thank those pet/fish stores that ONLY sell captive bred Banggai Cardinals.

The population of these fish in the wild are nearing catastrophic low numbers due to their popularity, and I find it extremely important to only purchase captive bred specimen.

Please help save the Banggais - please buy CB only, and furthermore, please let those pet/fish stores that still sell the wild caught ones, know that it is unacceptable to continue to offer these fish as WC when the captive bred ones are available.

---
Wendy

smcooler said:
well put Wendy, Mine are breeding in the tanks have a few i have grown to adults.

stan

I should've asked you this while I was there (meant to, but your tank made my mind go to jelly). Are you planning on selling your Banggai babies eventually?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know that Aquatic Obsessions & Aqua Oceans both only sell captive bred. Anyone know of any other stores that are equally committed to the cause? After hearing Eric Borneman's presentation at MACNA on the Bangaii, I came home and PMd each of the LFS who have account reps here on NJRC asking them to please carry only captive bred Banggais. I explained to each of them that the members of NJRC would do their part not to cause the extinction of the banggai, by supporting the stores that only carried captive bred.

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
jonathan. said:
smcooler said:
well put Wendy, Mine are breeding in the tanks have a few i have grown to adults.

stan

I should've asked you this while I was there (meant to, but your tank made my mind go to jelly). Are you planning on selling your Banggai babies eventually?

they wont be for sale im going to transplant them to the 120, sorry.

do they require a lot of swimming room? i have a hex tank with a bunch of zoos i was wondering if it would bea good idea to put some in there..

premilove said:
do they require a lot of swimming room? i have a hex tank with a bunch of zoos i was wondering if it would bea good idea to put some in there..

I think one would do just fine in your hex. :)

Where are you located? You don't have to give me your home address, lol, but I was referring to south, central or north.

Both Aquatic Obsessions and Aqua Oceans (not a sponsor though) sell only CB ones. Not sure if either has them in stock right now. Give them a call and find out. :)

premilove said:

Well, you'll probably only want to put 1 as they tend to beat up each other in groups and pairs.

is this a good idea? maybe i can stick a pair in my 75 which has 2 clowns, 2 blue yellow damsels, purple fridmoni, and a 6 line wrasse..

Why not try 2 small/young ones in one tank first? You might get lucky and they'll end up as a pair. :D If they don't, you can always take one out and put him in the other tank.

I bought 4 banggai which I was told were captive bred. They were definitely not. I've weaned 3 of them onto frozen brine and mysis. The other one has now started harassing 2 of them while in QT. I've pulled them out and they're in isolation. They are coming out of hypo and will be back to regular salinity in a few more days. I believe they are both males but cannot be sure as they are still young (not juveniles though).

Post has been edited to remove for sale content. Please note this thread is for discussion only. Would appreciate everyone's cooperation.

Calaxa, were the Banggai's that you were told were tank-raised, that you now believe weren't, purchased at the frag symposium in Secaucus by any chance?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My conversations with WWOF lead me to believe that they would only be selling Captive Bred. I would be SHOCKED to find out to the contrary.

jgana said:
Calaxa, were the Banggai's that you were told were tank-raised, that you now believe weren't, purchased at the frag symposium in Secaucus by any chance?

No I got them a few weeks before then. It was not from one of the sponsers here and 2 of them did seem interested in food at the store so it led me to believe all were captive bred. These were the 2 I had to remove and subsequently give away.

Hi everyone, just wanted to post a quick note and let everyone know that the Bangaii's we sold and the swap and the ones we sell at the store are tank raised. We work exclusively with two breeders in the states and one from the Dominican Republic from which we import these cardinals as well as many of our captive bred true percs (excluding the regulars we order from ORA).

If anyone has any questions, just shoot us a pm! ;)

Regards
Steve