• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thatpetplace.com anniversary sale

I know some people attended last year, I want to know if is worth taking the 2 hour drive and waiting to buy a tank there on their $1 per gallon sale. I was going to buy a 180g but if is worth waiting for the sale I'll wait.

Please let me know

Thanks

Are all tanks $1 per gallon regardless of size and brand ?? (marineland 36" wide ????????)

I don't think you'll find a 180 for $180 even used I never found one for less than $300 (in good shape)

If for some strange reason they do sell them for $1 a gallon I'll be getting one :)

Well I'm not sure what brands they were but I think they were AGA. I was also thinking it might be too good to be true and if they do have 180g tanks for that price on their anniversary sale it might be only one. That's why I was wondering if is worth the drive and waiting till next month.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think your best bet is to give them a call for clarification. Always best to get it at the source.

I went last year - so did altohombre and a few others I think.

The (big) tanks sell out very fast - like within 30 minute of opening so if you have your heart set on a big tank - you may want to drive out super early or go the night before and stay in Lancaster. The hotels are cheap (though in this economy everything is relative).

Also - I don't know if ALL the tanks were on sale - I thought they had a cap on the largest sized tank for sale....

Also if you sign up for their "club" - you get another 10% off all purchases. No cost to join. Never bought a tank so I don't know if that is caveated outside of this deal.

I didn't get a tank last year but was there to pick up misc equipment/test kits/QT tank/ etc in preparation for my tank (purchased at AqOb anniversary). Also because my kids love the touch tank and walking thru the fish room (which is a mad house). I didn't even bother with the "circus" tent of clearance items outside - though i'm sure a deal was to be made if you have the patience. As i recall they also had animals to pet outside for the kids and what not.

Whether or not it's worth the drive is debatable in my opinion. I personally would rather support AqOb and other local sponsors first. But if you want to go to just see this place - (and maybe stop by the train museum, the numerous outlets or take in an amish farm) - then by all means.

just to add - i think I read that all the locals in the area line up before the sale/store opens - so you really have to get their EARLY for the best deals.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I thought the cap on tank size was 75g or 90g. But I could be confusing it with some other sale from last year.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We bought fish at their last event. They pack them really well and are very healthy.

Got the flier in the mail.

Only Perfecto tanks have the $1 per gallon sale and it is only for in-stock 75 gallon tanks (oak or black). Otherwise it's just 20% of their prices.

Oceanic and AGA tanks are "up to" 40% off - whatever that means.

The other deal they have is buy 4 Reef Crystals or Instant Ocean, get 1 free.

Fish/inverts are 20% off
reptiles/small pets 25% off
live rock/plants 20% off
birds 20% off

Obviously a lot of their supplies are discounted (dog, cat fish, reptile, bird food etc).

Unfortunately we already have plans for the weekend and won't be going.

I went last year and the adrenaline of the whole experience was probably the best part. By the time I got there which was about 30 mins after opening the line for the tanks was huge and the clearance tent on the outside was practically rummaged through already. The tent outside has lots of used equipment like tanks of all sizes and shapes and various supplements and gadgets that are slightly damaged or have dented boxes. Inside there are a bunch of vendors who were very nice. I got a few nice samples from them if you talk to them for a bit. I would say that there were nice discounts on supplements for your tank. I got a Phosban reactor for pretty cheap and most additives were around 20% off. The fish room fish went pretty fast, by the time I got to look through it most of the stuff was gone. There is a ton of salt on sale at the back of the building that doesn't sell out so no rush. There were also good prices on frozen food and I got a few items. This was my first time visiting That Pet Place and it was huge so it took me a lot longer to get to where I wanted to go. I was probably there for over 3 hours just looking over everything. I do not plan to go this year because I can't get off work and I'm not really in dyer need of anything like I was last year when I was first starting out. To clarify some things the tanks went up to 150g for $150, but they sold out fast. If you are looking for tanks that are bigger they are on display and on sale slightly, but nothing drastic. There are also tons of 5g, 10g, 20g, etc. of the smaller tanks in the back of the building with the salt. If I was to suggest what to do first it would be to get in line if you want one of the $1 for 1g tanks. If you aren't in the market for one of those then go to the clearance tent and look through their tanks and stands. If you are going for fish then go to the main building first and the fish room is to the left right after you enter the building. Just remember that if you get fish first you may spend a lot of time afterwards going through the building and those fish might get stressed out. Overall I had a good time, but I am not in a rush to go back until I am in the market for a new tank or in need of a lot of new supplements.