• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The Anemone Nest

radiata

NJRC Member
If you don't like your anemones moving around, there's the "Anemone Nest".

I bought this Anemone Nest on eBay. I think I paid thirty-something dollars for it, including shipping from Hong Kong:

lZyeSrZTvcaTh9YmSJpCv8nNSX4RXHGh-By5L4Dsx1hSmltBiedK2BLhgZyRqlZ_UtZxA2CtPoOaaIw9KoSBPVb7ve49L7pMQBqmTA4NcHd5-Du_C6kUAQla18gnh_exTsEIhoo0OwwwHJEU8EsxCoxrCU2jqFX2ig5DVswIHbI1tBFkyCuHNzKpASoUWQ

It is the best Anemone Nest I've ever owned ! Here's a link to some of the availability for them on eBay:

I had a Malu anemone in this Nest, and it never left it. There must be, however, plenty of light and plenty of water movement to keep an anemone happy. I had it for six months, before selling the anemone and the Nest to my LFS.

That said, there are less expensive alternatives. I've got four sitting on my kitchen table. They're connected with twine, and each has a succulent planted in it. They look something like this:

You can find different sizes and colors of these planters on eBay. Mine are a nice rocky beige color. If you don't already have one, you'll have to factor in the cost of a tile bit for your Dremel. The nests on eBay all seem to have three holes near the bottom, each 120 degrees from the other. If you search diligently enough, you may find the reasoning for these three equidistant holes somewhere in the I Ching . I even removed the lip on my nest to get it into my rock work. I used a Dremel saw cutter to remove the lip. These planters cut and drill very easily.

My DIY nest has been sitting in my DT for a few months now, housing an RBTA. It is located a few inches under the water's surface and a few inches from an alternating Gyre. Here's a photo of it:

View attachment 50414

If it looks big, it is. Any loose RBTA this size would have split and moved on. I don't really know if it can split in a nest or not. Pardon the Copperband in the photo - he thought it was feeding time.