• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The economy

well I have a question is the economy effecting anyone else with equipment and maybe a fish or coral buy I sure am having a tough time with the economy being so tight. I would love to finish my tank but find I don't have the extra loot I used to. Any thought's on this.

I've noticed that livestock prices seem to be way up, but that you can find bargains if you shop around. I have also noticed that prices on equipment made in other countries is also way up. The price for electricity is also up.

Of course, some of this is due to factors not directly related to the economy.

When you say "finish your tank" are you talking about equipment or live stock? DIY projects can often give you that piece of expensive equipment you need at a lower cost. Many corals can be fragged, so you can often grow them out to get the corals you need.

I find myself not spending so much on coral as I used to. Money is tighter these days. Don't get me wrong - I still spend, just not as much ;)

DaveK said:
I've noticed that livestock prices seem to be way up, but that you can find bargains if you shop around. I have also noticed that prices on equipment made in other countries is also way up. The price for electricity is also up.

Of course, some of this is due to factors not directly related to the economy.

When you say "finish your tank" are you talking about equipment or live stock? DIY projects can often give you that piece of expensive equipment you need at a lower cost. Many corals can be fragged, so you can often grow them out to get the corals you need.

With livestock prices soaring at LFS all over (in my opinion, anyways), it's one of the few times I'm glad for Petco to be around (not that I'm pimping my job). Steady prices (although obviously hit or miss livestock).

the uncertainty in the economy definitely makes me pause. The US dollar stinks so buying any non-US made equipment is going to cost more (and that includes US manufacturers that "make" things abroad) - not to mention the killer cost of shipping thanks to the Oil prices.

The only thing my family isn't concerned about is the housing - 30 year fixed mortgage here.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
phil519 said:
The only thing my family isn't concerned about is the housing - 30 year fixed mortgage here.

Well, lets hope you have a 30 year recession proof job!

I know my business is down this year.
With this economy i hope its better by next years MACNA. Could slow things down there

RichT said:
phil519 said:

Well, lets hope you have a 30 year recession proof job!

well - I don't know if I am going to get hit by a bus tomorrow either...lol. Actually come to think of it my family would be fine with the life insurance... :eek:

finish as in everything I did do a DIY skimmer that came out quite nice IMO and DIYed a sump The pump prices are scary and the lighting, good gawd ya know, well Ill get threw this im sure just want to make sure its just not me alone. thanks guys

Fixed mortgage doesn't mean squat when the township keeps hiking property taxes. My mortgage has gone up over $300 a month in the past 5 years just because of blanket property tax increases, and they still have reassessment in their back pockets!

mfisher2112 said:
Fixed mortgage doesn't mean squat when the township keeps hiking property taxes. My mortgage has gone up over $300 a month in the past 5 years just because of blanket property tax increases, and they still have reassessment in their back pockets!

sooo true! Our taxes have gone from $3800 in 2002 to $5700 in 2008 and that's before the reassessment which is due to kick in sometime early next year. :mad:

Lord Viper said:
finish as in everything I did do a DIY skimmer that came out quite nice IMO and DIYed a sump The pump prices are scary and the lighting, good gawd ya know, well Ill get threw this im sure just want to make sure its just not me alone. thanks guys

definitely not alone. I get to enjoy the next two decades also planning and trying to save for college for two and if I am really "lucky"...marriage for my 2 girls...

(runs off to weep).

:)

mott768 said:
mfisher2112 said:

sooo true! Our taxes have gone from $3800 in 2002 to $5700 in 2008 and that's before the reassessment which is due to kick in sometime early next year. :mad:

How true! Years ago the main question about home ownership would be, can I afford the mortgage payment. Today, the main question is can I afford the taxes?

Not all of this is the fault of you local government though. The vast bulk of your real estate taxes go to support the school system. They have been forced by the federal government to have all sorts of special education programs that the school system must pay for itself. The only way they can get the amount of money needed is to raise your real estate taxes. In addition, if you are in in an area with lots of new housing construction going on, you'll tend to get more families with more children you must educate. This means more schools and teachers, and so on, and higher taxes for you.

Diver that is a very estute answer.

Another problem with schools is that BOE are seperate bodies that operate under their own rules but not their own money.

There has been a push for shared services in schools but townsw like cherry hill dont want to use the same books as camdens inner city schools. All of the regional systems in NJ were never been money losing ventures till they broke apart and then towns had sole care of their schools.

ReeferNets said:
Diver that is a very estute answer.

Another problem with schools is that BOE are seperate bodies that operate under their own rules but not their own money.

There has been a push for shared services in schools but townsw like cherry hill dont want to use the same books as camdens inner city schools. All of the regional systems in NJ were never been money losing ventures till they broke apart and then towns had sole care of their schools.

This economy right now does kinda suck. I need a new light for my tank but i'm holding off until the new year when i find out if i will get a raise and or bonus. My property taxes are almost 9,000 and i have to pay for most services seperately. The main issue that is killing taxpayers (besides the price of oil) and the reason taxes keep going up and up are the pension and benefit liabilities of the state. Politicians from both parties treat us like a never ending piggy bank. Eventually the pension system will go bankrupt it's only a matter of time, state workers are in denial by wanting more and more perks. Today i heard on the radio that a retiring police chief will be paid almost 275,000 lump sum for 300+ sick and vacation days he accumulated in his career on top of 80,000 yearly pension he will get, and that not an uncommon occurance with some public employee but not all. Most are hard working and do deserve all the benefits given to them. But in all honesty their benefit structure has to be more inline with the public sector in order for the the system to survive. the taxpayers will have the last laugh IMO unfortunately and i will feel bad for all the hard working public employees who will suffer because of a few greedy individuals who ruin it for the rest. Just my opinion

Harry