• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The New Tank Has Started!

So I picked up my new 240 Gallon tank today and the fun has just started. (With lots of help from Gabe and Tom)

It is a little dirty but it will clean up just fine:

HPIM0016.gif

Look, it holds water just fine!

HPIM0018.gif

UPDATE on the Tank progress. Today I picked up my 135 Gallon sump. Although it looks really bad it will make a great sump. They guy had a forklift there so it made loading it SO easy. He said he was going to sell some forklifts on ebay and I SERIOUSLY thought about getting one!

Here is the new Sump:

HPIM0019.gif

MY luck is holding, water does not leak! That is probably the dirtiest water I have ever seen but at least it is not dirty water on the ground but IN THE TANK!

HPIM0021.gif

Now I get to clean both the tanks! FUN FUN!

I put them on Yahoo photos because I was having troubles loading them here. Is that the same for everyone? Can anyone see the pics?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Those are great. Once again I have Big Tank Envy! Congrats and keep the photo's coming.

I don't know what your plan is, but the best way I found to clean tanks is to fill them with water and use one of RichtT's ReefGadgets. It makes clean up a breeze.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's a fantastic device that attaches to a mag float or similar magnetic tank cleaner. Here's a link to it. I have a few of them for each tank. I keep one with a plastic blade in the tank all the time for regular cleanings. One with a metal blade is used once a month to clean all of the hard to get stuff that builds up.

The metal blades are great on used tanks. It cleans them up like new.

The plan is 240 dislpay and 135 sump similar to meleves reef F model if you know that one is. Once I get it cleaned I will have to get some glass cut. I have done tons of reasearch and it seems as though the best way to go is to just get a glass tank and put your own baffles in.

WOW! :eek: Man, that's going to be gorgeous. What do you want to keep when you get it up and running?

Scott and I were just talking about Melev's Reef yesterday, we learned alot from that site. Can't remember the URL for it though...

Congrats again and keep up with the pictures so I can live vicariously. One day we want a tank that big...in that next house we get.

Yea, I am going to take Gabe's advice and make a lot of reef in it.

Gabe, I decided to put the tank in the living room and I found out that I can put the Sump and everything in my pantry behind that same wall. I will have plenty of room to do this. Just wait for those pics!

I have to admit I am a bit scared that with a tank this big I am going to put it on the stand and it will come crashing down. I think I would have to cry.