• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The Pet Shanty

I was there a few weeks ago...before I found this board...I was wondering...has anyone tried to recruit them for sponsorship? They have a fairly decent fish and invert selection, but they don't compare to ocean gallery with regards to coral/frag choice and price....still, might be nice to get a new sponsor

anyone have any opinions on the place?

they used to be alot nicer.... but last couple times i was there they had really let themselves go... unless things have improved in the last 3 or 4 months, they don't take the best care of their live stock... when i was doing freshwater tanks, that was the place to go.... but nowadays..... :-[

Charlie is a great guy. Their Marine section is not very large and neither is their coral selection. Their DRY good prices are hit and miss but generally on the good side. Freshwater tanks is where its at with Pet Shanty. Likewise they tend to carry a lot of the stuff we can get online for around the same price. Obvious 2/3$ markup but this is what you would pay for shipping. Ocean Gallery to me is expensive on their dry goods but they carry a LOT of stuff.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
asonitez said:
Charlie is a great guy. Their Marine section is not very large and neither is their coral selection. Their DRY good prices are hit and miss but generally on the good side. Freshwater tanks is where its at with Pet Shanty. Likewise they tend to carry a lot of the stuff we can get online for around the same price. Obvious 2/3$ markup but this is what you would pay for shipping. Ocean Gallery to me is expensive on their dry goods but they carry a LOT of stuff.
Agreed if you are looking for freshwater stuff he has a large selection. When I had African Cichlids that was the place to go. Charlie's been looking to sell the place for a while now.

Bob

my brother in law's mechanic is in the area - so whenever we get his car tuned/fixed - we're there.

Anyone ever go to that "amusement park" next door? Was wondering if that place is any good or am I risking my kids lives going in there...

I have had nothing but good experiences with Charlie (primarily himself) . They have been my source for fish over the years with fair pricing and policies.

Hawkeye said:
my brother in law's mechanic is in the area - so whenever we get his car tuned/fixed - we're there.

Anyone ever go to that "amusement park" next door? Was wondering if that place is any good or am I risking my kids lives going in there...

I'm gonna bet risking lives on anything rollercoaster ish.. should be fine on the spinners or ground level stuff. they added new rides and have been in operation for a while.

thanks - I was just wondering...whenever we're in the area my kids nag the heck out of me about going in there. Great Adventure is like the mecca for my kids but if I could go someplace closer and save money - that works. 'Course in the summer there's always the shore...ah - summer...my how quickly that has past!

The place is called Bowcraft. I've took my kids there for years without incident. It doesn't have the razzle dazzle of Great Adventure, but still offers an afternoon of fun at a fair price.

Hawkeye said:

I own a print shop across the street next to the Dunkin Dounuts and the last time I heard an accident there was about 12 yrs ago and It was no big deal what happened. It is a small but fun place for an afternoon. So +1 on Bowcraft . And Charlie at the pet shanty is a great guy Ive been going there for about 15 yrs or so and never been a bad place to shop or just look around.