• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The Sky is Falling.. The sky is Falling!!!!!

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
After two years having a tank on the second floor and a number of times falling asleep when making water up:( my ceiling started to show some scars ( Some of you guys saw the scars at my meeting).. Well the last month or so the ceiling was getting worse paint was peeling and always felt damp.. sheet rock had swollen and started to drop.. I have been getting frantic thinking my tank/sump had a leak and was always looking but didn't see no wet/damp spots around the Tank/sump/Stand so yesterday I pulled up a part of the plank flooring in front of the tank to see what was going on but it seemed dry but could only see one part of it due to the way the joist was running.. this was driving me nuts so i decided to take a look from the dinning room ceiling.. well the little look turned into a big look but i think i know what was causing it now..wife and kid had a few small water spills on the bathroom floor and the water ran down the joist close to where the tank is and with the humidity it was wasn't drying out..Anyway some pics of my dinning room ceiling now.. Just glad it wasn't the Tank :)
IMG_2064-3.jpg

IMG_2070-3.jpg

IMG_2068-4.jpg

Sid,

I was really hoping for some good news!!

That looks like my ceiling last summer. I my drainage pipe wasn't pitched correctly for my central AC and the condensation was running down the hanger andjust to the side of the pan. After a little brown spot and a big sag I went up in the crawl and found a lake forming ontop of the sheetrock. By the time I found it, it was a nice 4x8 section and just about a foot away from the ceiling fans electric.

Anyways, best of luck and hopefully your ceiling will look better than mine did when i finished it, Sheet rock stinks to work with and is something I will never do again. I even had someone comeout just to do the nail pops because I couldnt stand working with it!

I guess on the bright side,

It wasn't the tank that caused the problem. We can't give any ammo that can be used against us!

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lucky for me This work is right up my alley.. Also this was the only room I gutted when i was fixing up the place.. it could of been worse if i still had the plaster and lathe still up

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Lucky for me This work is right up my alley.. Also this was the only room I gutted when i was fixing up the place.. it could of been worse if i still had the plaster and lathe still up

Saw the marks from the plaster between the lathe strips and the old "real" dimensional lumber that's an unmistakable sign of old construction - and the liquid nails from the reno. Plaster and lathe demo is awful (and messy as hell). On the bright side, there's romex in there so you're not looking at seeing the old knob and tube electric and thinking, once it's open, may as well rip it all down and re-do that. one sheet of drywall and a dead-man and you're all set :)- if only it were that easy, right?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sid, been there, done that….three times over. My recommendation is to not be in any rush closing up the hole. I’m saying keeping it open until the kid is taking showers. If not, we’ll be hearing Chicken Little crying those infamous words once again, shortly after the ceiling is fixed. And one more thing, caulk the bathroom real well.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Saw the marks from the plaster between the lathe strips and the old "real" dimensional lumber that's an unmistakable sign of old construction - and the liquid nails from the reno. Plaster and lathe demo is awful (and messy as hell). On the bright side, there's romex in there so you're not looking at seeing the old knob and tube electric and thinking, once it's open, may as well rip it all down and re-do that. one sheet of drywall and a dead-man and you're all set :)- if only it were that easy, right?
First thing i did when i moved in was update all the electric.. Not one bit of Knob and tube is live

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sid, been there, done that….three times over. My recommendation is to not be in any rush closing up the hole. I’m saying keeping it open until the kid is taking showers. If not, we’ll be hearing Chicken Little crying those infamous words once again, shortly after the ceiling is fixed. And one more thing, caulk the bathroom real well.
It was coming through the one place i didn't caulk.. Behind the Sink vanity
Sid, Time for a two story tank!:congratulatory:

Bob
Why just two? I have a 3 story house :)

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sid that sucks man! I am glade you do not have a tank leaking this time around and that must make you feel good also.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
First thing i did when i moved in was update all the electric.. Not one bit of Knob and tube is live
The last house we were in was built in 1903 - the only knob and tube left was sandwiched between 1st and 2nd floor. Actually that's more dangerous b/c while knob and tube is fine in theory, splice the hot and neutral together in the attic or basement to run romex to the box creates all sorts of problems. We were in that house for less than 2 years before we had a small fire - good news was the wife's super power is her sense of smell and she woke up at 3AM because she smelled something - she woke me and I threw the power immediately (that smell is unmistakable) we had the FD there in less than 5 minutes and the home owners paid for an electrician to deactivate all remaining knob and tube - yeah. I had just finished the kitchen and added a bathroom on the first floor - I was really bummed at the thought of taking down the rest of the ceilings down there - again, yeah home owners. The current house is circa 1976 so all I have to worry about now is lead paint - a slow stupid death beats incineration. Lead paint FTW

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
C'mon Sid, we are your friends here not your wife. While I believe Cindy bought it and it is easy to blame the kid, I don't believe you!:stupid:

Wow that looks serious Sid.I would just leave it as is and sell the house.And until you find another home that you like,I could give you an apt here at a discounted rate...lol All kiddin aside I agree with Paul and give it a sec to really make sure there is no more water creeping around before you button it all up.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sid, I can't believe you went as far as ripping the ceiling apart just to come up with a good excuse fora tank leak! :tongue: