• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The start of my 30g Cube (Ricordea and ABSOLUTELY NO Zoo's)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Figured I would post the start of my new cube tank here.

It's going to be rics and zoo's only. With some fish of course.

I'm keeping everything simple on this tank. (to start with at least!)
At this point I only have the light it came with (10 gallon NO fluorescent strip light)
I'm using a 10 gallon sump with no skimmer. There aren't that many options for lighting a 20" tank. I may go with a 150watt HQI.

Here are a few pictures:

199_17_03_07_1_51_15_0.jpg

199_17_03_07_1_51_15_1.jpg

199_17_03_07_1_51_15_2.jpg

Re: The start of my 30g Cube (Ricordea and Zoo's)

the tank looks good , that is one nice show piece of tonga branch :eek: , i like it keep the pictures coming specially with those zoos , remember theres going to be a lot of zoos at the meeeting i hope , and the tank would be stock with them , and then you would become a "ZOOOHOLIC".

rALPH

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Brian it looks great.

Is it an Oceanic 30 cube? What sump are you using or is it custom made? What size/type overflow and return pump are you using?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to put a sump under my 30 cube and was just looking for some pointers. Most likely going with a DIY acrylic sump though.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Thanks all!

Matt-

It's a Oceanic Cube and It's an old wetdry that I am using (Pro Clear Aquatics). I will probably get a custom sump eventually, but I had this laying around so I figured I would get some use out of it. It does stick out of the back of the stand a few inches. It's just a U-Tube overflow, I believe it's rated around 700 gph. I am using a Sen 500 return pump. I think it's rated to use 5/8" ID Tubing, but I used 3/4" ID. Much to my surprise, it puts out a ton of flow and I had to throttle it back.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to need to think about the return pump. It's a seahorse tank so I am going to need something a little less powerful.

I really like the center island LR look. Leaves lots of open room.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member

In honor of the new zoa tank I'll bring you guys a nice size eagle eye frag. if you don't have them already.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Tank look cool.....
What's with the zoos? I thought that was Deb's tank.

A quick/cheap fix for the lighting. I have one of those Lights of America 6500K @ 500W equivalent fluorescent fixtures I got at home depot over my fuge. I have coralline growing all over the place in my fuge. Can't even see in it anymore. Maybe one or 2 of them could do the trick and hold you over until you get your MH.
HTH

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

As easy as that push over was, it should be a softie tank. ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks great, Brian! Love the pillar of rock in the center. I think this is the perfect size tank for the LED light setup!

:)