• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Things you dislike about the hobby?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We all have our dislikes about this hobby at times or even all the time.. could be keeping curtain or all prams in check, WC's. Ich., pests, cost of stuff ..ect.. I have a few but right now mine is trying to keep Nitrates down.. It don't matter how many WC's I do plus doing all the right things like not over feeding, rinse all frozen foods with RO/DI added a fudge with a good amount of chaeto but it's still high and i can't figure out why.. what's yours?

Dealing with it now?

Cost is one thing with me too but just not with livestock. sometime ago we was talking about the cost of stuff in a thread and it seem they slap a fish sticker on stuff it and it's 3x+ more.. and not being happy with the tank as in?

As in I went from a bio cube to a 135 to a 180 to a 34 to now a 75g lol

Can't seem to find that balance.

And yes see that standard net over there well it's only $1, whoa whoa whoa you'll be catching fish with it? Saltwater? Oh no no no its actually $20!

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As in I went from a bio cube to a 135 to a 180 to a 34 to now a 75g lol

Can't seem to find that balance.

And yes see that standard net over there well it's only $1, whoa whoa whoa you'll be catching fish with it? Saltwater? Oh no no no its actually $20!
Why don't you have a few different size tanks set up all at once? ;)

howze01

NJRC Member
I can't think of anything

Me too. Sure, there are things that I'm not a huge fan of, like water changes, but it's all part of the experience for me. Take the good with the not-so-good. Haven't really experienced most of the things posted but I'm sure I will so my answer is subject to change!

The thing I hated most when I had my tank set up was just the lack of knowledge. It's funny that even experts can't agree on the right and wrong way to do things. The constant disagreement of which product is better or worse. Which salt is more balanced and better for your tank... The only way to actually get "honest" knowledge was to try-fail-try again with your own tank.

That bugged me...

Also when ever a new piece of equipment came out and you'd finally give in to yourself and buy it.. another product came out to replace the one you just got. But then again that's pretty much everything in life.. cars, electronics, etc..

I agree with others on the high price and about the "fish sticker".Being in the club def does help in many ways with this though.What I have learned if anything is that this hobby is always a good thing bad thing and always theres a pest of some kind just waiting around the corner as in bubble algea,hair algea,flatworms and the list goes on.