• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking about starting an Anemone only tank ...

Really really enjoying my Nano v2 tank (v1 was the one I inadvertently killed off with the not-so-live-rock I purchased, that spiked and killed everyone!). I realize now, that I've over populated the 12g with some wonderful Anemones ... they're starting to sting the other guys - not so good.

So, anything special I need to know when starting up an Anemone only tank? I'm thinking about a 20g Long ... so they can run around freely. Some rock, but not too much ... maybe a nice pair of Black Ocellaris Clownfish, and that's it.

Yeah, this reef thing can get quite addictive, quickly!

:)

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I think smaller tanks are way less forgiving than a larger tank. One anemone would be cool just keep an eye on everything. If an anemone goes south in a small tank it could be over for the whole tank if not taken out quickly.

What kind of Anemone's?

Bigger is always better on the tank. With that said, my almost 10 year old LTA spent the first 6 years of his life in a 20 long with a single 65watt compact flourescent strip light, a fluval 104 cannister filter and a minijet powerhead.

LTA's want sand for a substrate, most other nems like to move up the rocks. Flow is always good and they love/need lots of light.

Whatever you setup, they will move around from time to time so all filter and powerhead intakes need to be made Anemone proof.

Thats my type of species tank Sandee.

Ed is correct a small anemone can take out a tank quickly if not dealt with or if sick but it can also be easier to do a water change if something does go wrong. Also try to get aquacultured BTAS if you decide to go with bubbletips. One from a fellow reefers tank has a much better change of survival.

In a 20 long you could get away with a BTA make sure you put enough lighting over the tank. A two bulb t-5 fixture over a 20 gallon long should be enough but you could go with a 4 bulb fixture for extra help.

Set up the tank, put the anemone in first so i can establish itself. It will need to find a spot, I find that if you have a rock with a deep hole if you place the bubble tip right over the hole it will sometimes grab right on. Also make sure that your anemone is big enough for two clowns. Two small 1 or 2 inch ocellaris or percs would need a 5 -6 inch anemone. Maroons get too big for a 20 long and so do clarki complex clowns.

Another helpful suggestion is get a kick ass skimmer and skim wet. Also if you want to keep anemones in nutrient rich water like sps it helps when they suck in water it gives them nutrients. The zooanthele (sp) algae in the anemone will benefit greatly

What kind of anemones do u have? No anemones should sting or harass an anemone of the same species, like a bubbletip stinging a bubbletip.

Here is pic of my clown anemone tank.
IMG_0174.jpg

Tank015.jpg

Such great replies! Thanks! Yes, 2 little Clowns for the new 20L ...

Forgive me, I'm still at the "it's white, and the other one is purple" stage. Not up on all the names yet. Here are some pictures:

BELOW: My Clarkii will stay will the one I have in the tank now ... he's grown quite attached. This Anemone is about 2-3", blue-ish purple ...
lrg-712-dsc09094.jpg

BELOW: Tiny Anemone (like only 3/4" in diameter) - Lite purple with purple tips
lrg-701-dsc08966.jpg

BELOW: Big White Anemone, upper left next to the orange thing (great, don't know the name of that guy either!). This guy loves to move around!
lrg-693-dsc08880.jpg

BELOW: Ok, this Anemone was a freebie! The nice man at Underwater World said "You don't want him" ... so of course, I wanted him! He's cute - green, likes to eat.
lrg-711-dsc09111.jpg

The last one is a majano you really should get rid of him before it gets out of hand he will sting corals and they spread quickly

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They spread faster than zoas and xenia, kill any coral they get near, look terrible when they spread and they ruin the resale value of your rock. I'm glad to hear that they told you that you didn't want it (even if you didn't listen ;D ).

the orange tube-like coral - that looks like "sun coral" (common name) aka Tubastraea sp..

Google it and see if it is. If you do have it, it considered an azooxanthellae coral - that is, something that does not have zooxanthellae in its body. Without zoo, the coral has absolutely zero need for light and uses it's rather complete and capable set of tentacles and nemocysts to capture food.

in other words, you need to feed it - and feed each polyp head...as each one is a separate animal. Let us know what you find...

<< capable set of tentacles and nemocysts | feed each polyp head...as each one is a separate animal >>

Yes, the tentacles come out at night - I fed them this week, very facinating! There are the orange ones and the brownish-burgundy ones too, but were fed, and seem happy. The Shrimp, however, like to nibble on them - not sure they're going to last :(

lrg-689-dsc08872.jpg