• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking of changing salt

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had been using Red Sea Coral Pro. When I finished it, I bought (2) 200 gallon boxes of IO mix. I have found I am dosing more with IO then with RSCP

I just dropped Red Sea corral pro, and went to Red Sea blue bucket. I think the CP’s alk was a bit to much for my system. Only did 2 waterchanges so far since the switch. my coral are responding favorably. I do like the way Red Sea brand mixes in general. A few hours mixing and it’s clear and ready to use. I prefer to mix overnight, but if I need some in a pinch, I can make it fast.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I also like RSCP. The higher alk and cal reduces the amount I have to dose. Also, my reef seems to run at it's best when I'm using it. The two times I had to run out and pick up IO, I noticed a difference.

My ATO changes two gallons a day, throughout the day.

That is what works for me. Every reef is different and you can have a healthy reef with any brand. Just figure out what works best for you!

Dave

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Maybe try Reef Crystal instead of regular IO.
Years ago someone posted all the top salts and what the % were. Will try to locate and re-post.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using the liveaquaria brand salt without issues. Previously I was on aquaforest

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I can definitely see a difference in the granule size compared to aquaforest. But like you, I got it on sale, with a free shirt plus free shipping so....

I'm all softies so to me, it shouldn't make a huge difference

My thoughts,
If your dosing, just use Instant Ocean.
In my last run in the hobby I started with Reef Crystals, but tried Red Sea CP and Aqua Vitro Salinity. I liked and had success with all of them. But the more I dosed, the less I wanted to pay extra for a salt that supposedly had more of what I was dosing anyway. I switched to IO and never looked back.

My thoughts,
If your dosing, just use Instant Ocean.
In my last run in the hobby I started with Reef Crystals, but tried Red Sea CP and Aqua Vitro Salinity. I liked and had success with all of them. But the more I dosed, the less I wanted to pay extra for a salt that supposedly had more of what I was dosing anyway. I switched to IO and never looked back.
I mainly use IO for my auto water changes but my last box I had to add calcium to my mix because it was low like 375. I had to bring it up to my tanks level which is 450 because it was messing with my dosing.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I use instant ocean reef crystals. It’s cheap and I can get it anywhere. I do auto water change so I change a lot of water every month.

I noticed my local lfs instant ocean is what they use.