• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking of getting back into the hobby, opinions on used setup?

I put a deposit down on this 60"x 18" deepx 24" tall setup. If everything works out I should take delivery this weekend and in a few weeks I'll be back up and running. Not sure whether posting links to craigslist is allowed, and if it isn't my apologies, but wanted to get some opinions whether that's a good deal, not sure how much used tanks go for, but a new tank that fits the dedicated area (60") is hard to come by. Anyways, any opinions would be welcome!

It's an "SC" aquarium, eurobraced, starphire-like glass. It's only 18" deep, and 24" tall, so not my preferred dimensions. It's predrilled with a 1" and 3/4" overflow, which I'd prefer more, but I may replumb and use both for a durso style. It comes with a bunch of other parts to basically get me going, though I'll have to setup the dosing/ATO plumbing and maybe a controller down the road.

Thanks, Bill

reef tank saltwater aquarium

Attachments

• 00H0H_eIlsxoTyh6K_600x450.jpg
    00H0H_eIlsxoTyh6K_600x450.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Seems a little expensive to me but not too bad. I would definitely try to haggle a bit. Also I would suggest getting new sand. For the relativly low price I wouldn't risk disturbing the old sand and setting the tank up

Thanks all, made another bid and he came down some. Nice guy, and it's quite a bit of "other" stuff, and that will get me to a reasonable place and can move up from there. I'm going to keep it dry for a month or so until I can get the plumbing done like I want. I'm hopefully going to redo the overflow to a Beananimal since it only has a 1" and 3/4" currently. But that means drilling it, so it may be a few weeks. Also need to configure the "back of house" area, plumbing and electrical in that area. Stay tuned!

So I got the tank today, and the drain is a 1", but the return only fits a 1/2" PVC through it. The wife is concerned about drilling it, I'm more concerned about clogging a pipe and overflowing. I could use the second pipe as an "emergency" pipe, but 1/2" isn't going to really save my floor if the 1" fully clogs.

What's the best way to make use of the 1" and 1/2" PVC pipes I have now? Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• IMG_20160319_200809.jpg
    IMG_20160319_200809.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Yes, center overflow and 1" and 1/2", basically just meant for a single overflow and return. I can easily run a hard PVC line around the back for the return, but I don't see the 1/2" giving much assurance in a blocked situation. I could do something fancy with float switches and a controller, but I think setting it up with at least one more hole is probably the right thing to do, if not a beananimal.

1600 + gph LOW PROFILE Overflow Box - Bulkhead Mounted aquarium surface skimmer

My honest opinion is I think you are asking for trouble trying to drill a used tank. You are much better off getting a controller & float switches to shut pumps off in case of a clog..

horseplay

NJRC Member
Ocelaris - with Herbie the smaller hole is the main and the bigger one is the backup. You would use the 1/2" hole for the main. If I am not wrong it should support 600g+ flow rate when fully open. So it might work for you. You can experiment with a Herbie setup first (it doesn't take much work anyway) and play around with different scenarios.

On mine I have two 1" drains so I use one of the 1" drain as the main. But with 600g flow rate the gate is barely open. I cannot run much higher either because the emergency should be able to handle all the flow when the main is blocked.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The hand-waving accepted gravitational vertical flow rate through a 1/2" pipe is only 150 gph.

Here are the veritical flow rates per pipe size:

size _GPM __GPH
1/2 = 2.50 = 150
3/4 = 5.63 = 337.5
1.0 = 10.0 = 600
1.25=15.6 = 937.5
1.5 = 22.5 = 1350
2.0 = 40.0 = 2400

Glass-Holes is another option for an overflow. :D I'm using the 1500gph GH on my five foot tank.

Yeah, 1/2 just isn't going to cut it. The glass holes kit is like 389, so was just looking at alternatives, but that's probably the way to go. Does the glass hole kit come with everything including tubing to the sump?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That 389 is the three hole setup.....I have the two hole which sells for 99......89 is you buy a blemished one. I linked it in my post above. Here's mine being installed:

It comes with the overflow box, bulkheads, 90 elbows, glass drill bit. You need to supply all the pipe, elbows, and whatever to get it down to your sump. The last two pictures are what you have once all the Glass-Holes stuff is installed.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Full siphon the flow rate is a LOT bigger. I have to look it up but like I said my main drain gate is barely open.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My honest opinion is I think you are asking for trouble trying to drill a used tank. You are much better off getting a controller & float switches to shut pumps off in case of a clog..

+1. I've never in 40 years of reefing seen a blocked pipe.

Thanks, I think that's the better route since I want a controller to start anyways... Maybe I'll just make a 3/4" return line and use the half inch as a half back up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My 180g with 1"pipe was clogs with fricking turbo snails and i was lucky that i have two drain pipes.

Drilling hole is easy as long as the glass ins't tempered. if you need the tool, i can always let you borrow it. if you want me to drill it for you, then bring your tank to my house on saturday morning 7:30am and i can get it done by 9. before my two boys start to come out and "let me help you"

Thanks, I think I'm going to stick with the 1" and 1/2" backup for an emergency overflow; not that this will fix the issue, but I bought an apex controller and float switches so hopefully that will provide some level of backup. I'll run a new 3/4" line from sump to get water back into the tank. Also we took off the black plastic so it's see through now, so not a lot a lot of room on the side for an over flow. Not an ideal solution, but hopefully sufficient to protect us from disaster.

I have a bunch of equipment coming in thursday and we're off Friday, so it should be a fun 3 day weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20160321_224233.jpg
    IMG_20160321_224233.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20160321_224220.jpg
    IMG_20160321_224220.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9