• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking of Starting Nano

I am thinking of selling my nano.. since I am upgrading to a larger nano ;) I suggest the aquapod 12 gallon nano and get yourself a real light. The pc's suck.. Make sure you get a 150w MH with dual t5 actinic+ and pure actinic. Moonlight is nice too.. In fact get the coralife 24" 150, use a radium 20k 150 HQI DE and the bulbs above and your tank will look just like this ( without the chiller ) or you could just buy my entire setup and have exactly that. :)

P2120002.jpg

Great tank for mods.. you should check out my thread in the nano section.. I even think the link is in my sig..

I like the 24 gallon nano cubes personally I am just starting mine up after upgrading from the 12. Has enough light to keep softies and most everything you would want IMO

it depends on how much your willing to spend. next time around i will go with either cadlights, solona or elos mini. rimless is pure sex and the tanks above are made quite well. though they are in the upper range of cost.

Welcome to the Nano world!

As far as tanks go, I'm very happy with my little 20G high. It is no where near as much of a visual impact as some of the fancy tanks out there, but I have had pretty good luck with it over hte years.

I would be most concerned about lighting for a small tank- I have a four 24 watt t5 fixture (other equipment: an aquaC-remora skimmer, and a small refugium on my tank).

We also have a 30g with a MH pendant, a 12g jbj with pc's, and my 20g. As far as lighting goes, I would say that unless you are going to run a chiller, I think that the T5s are a better bet than a MH is- too much heat from the MH from my limited experiance on our 30G cube.

Scottyrock said:
keep your big tank

I agree. The fact is that with a nano your limited severely to what you can keep in it fish wise. I love fish and my woman loves corals. I like them alot too but in my nano I have like 3 fish and nothing else other than corals.

While keeping your big tank would certainly be nice as I'm 100% sure you can do more with it than a nano, I have to point out that a nano can be kept for a fraction of the cost.

Over the course of a year, I spend less than $20 a week on tank maintence for my 20g. Thats it. In the last 12 months, that amount has included a new skimmer, a used refugium, a T5 lighting fixture (which together account for one-half of my costs of upkeep) and water that I buy from Trop, as well as suppliments, test kits, and food.

In a recession, nanoing can look awfully economical...