• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tiny bubbles in my tank

I have a small amount if tiny bubbles in tank. I think they are coming from my sump. My tank is a 58 gallon oceanic with an oceanic model 1 sump and a mag 9.5 return pump. Does anyone know how to correct this?
Thanks - Jon

Got a skimmer in there?
When I replaced my skimmer, I had "micro bubbles".
I was able to solve this with a small piece of filter material at the skimmer output.
Kenny

Jon, Has anything happened with the tank recently that has caused this? I had a wet dry and I removed the bio balls and this caused the water to crash down instead of trickling down and this caused micro bubbles.

I think my problem is just as you said. My sump used to have a trickle filter and I took that out and made it into a refugium. The water comes down pretty hard so I got some 1 inch pvc pipe and extended it down towards the bottom of the sump. The water lands on some live rock and this creates many micro bubbles.

Technically, the water than should the one bottom baffle and filter media but not all of the water goes through this. Since the whole main chamber is a refugium my return chamber also houses my protein skimmer and mag 9.5 return pump. The return pump is a little strong for this tank (58 gallon oceanic) so I have to keep extra water in the sump (over the baffles) so that I do not have to fill it up everyday. That is when I think the micro bubbles go right to my return pump instead of the media filter.

Can I put a sock onto some plain 1 inch pvc pipe? Or would something else work?

Jon

I've had some success with one of those big filter socks that you can tie to the pvc pipe. The only problem is that they are really fine and they get clogged quickly..I had a problem where the sock was clogged and it slowed the flow of the water in the sump and the water level dropped near the return pump and it almost started running dry..If you can clean it often (At least once a week) you should be ok.

Ive got the same issue i figured it out that the bubbles were coming out of my drain to my sump so i turned down my return a little and somewhat solved the problem... still there but it will be gone when i get my tank for my sump so i can tie this all into my basement.