• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Titanium Ground Probe

Do you use one?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I finally had time over the holiday to break open the third book in the series titled Reef Aquarium by sprung/delbeek.

in there I noticed they basically say do NOT run a titanium ground probe.

So I'd like to know what people are doing. I thought having one helped to eliminate electrical current but the point they make is that you are in effect creating a dangerous situation for the hobbyist.

Example they provide: Bird sits on electrical wire. No issue. Another bird flies by and touches the bird on the wire. ZAP. Bird on wire fried and other bird has singed feet.

Help?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just started using one last year.
I never liked them before. I like to know when there was stray voltage in the tank so I can fix the problem.
Now, I finally got tired of getting that tingle in my open cuts. So I bought one. I unplug it once a week and stick my hands in the tank to test for tingles.

I hate that tingle feeling too! I have one hooked up but dont test it like Mike. :eek: Mike would you come over and test mine? ;D I believe with a ground probe and a GFI circuit, the GFI would trip as soon as something shorted.

I am getting one Phil...I think for the cost it is worth it. Let me know if you get one which one you decide on.

i could be way off, but my fish were getting hole in the head disease and i was feeling those shocks when i first set my tank up..i read that the electric current can cause that and fin rot. i added it and it cleared up. could have been just coincidence, but i have read that the stray current causes disease in saltwater fish..

I had to use one on my first tank.....had enough voltage going through my water to start a car :eek:

Was a bad power strip that was flooding the tank with voltage.

Ever since then I have used one. Have not had an issue with HHLE or bad fins after adding one.

Now when I setup a tank, putting one in is a force of habit. I wouldnt think of not using one at this point.

wetwebmedia

antiground article

gfic info

Alright three articles to explain where my post is coming from and to add up front that from my experience that voltage warns while current kills. Even at 22KV. :eek:

I prefer my tank ungrounded with a gfci outlet. Although something I am considering is making use of a ground probe for when my hands are going to get wet. Similar to what I have to do at work when handling large capacitors that can charge with static electricity. This way if there is a danger to me, the circuit trips before I'm a part of it and I know what caused it.

The reason I don't believe in running a probe all the time is that any current leak that gets shunted to ground will trip the gfci. Now there are some problems I have with this. First is that until the GFCI trips you don't know if your have equipment problems. Second, there is no guarantee that the gfci is working properly and you just stuck your hand into a live circuit. Finally, murphy's law. With my luck at least the gfci would trip the moment after I went to bed or let for work.