• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

TLF reactor

So I got a Drs F+F gift certificate from my sister...good to have the family enable my addiction.

One of the things I bought was a TLF reactor.
I have a simple question. Maybe I am paranoid or ...no I am paranoid.
But my question is to anyone who has the reactor, did you put some sort of clamps on all the fittings? I put clamps on everything, I don't like leaks but there is not a lot of room and they only give you one clamp, which I would guess goes on next to the ball valve. But given that you have to replace the medium maybe clamps are overkill or a pain. Thanks in advance.

James

I have been using 2 TLF reactors for over a year with no clamps and no leaks till now. I think longest you have the valve before the inlet of the reactor like they recommend you won't have any pressure build up that will cause water leaks.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Same here, I have a few reactors with no clamps...I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do. But I've never had any issues since there is barely any pressure in there.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've accidentally pulled a hose off by moving it without holding the connection but it's never come off by itself.

Bob

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mine developed a slow leak I never know about and finally found the bottom of the stand damp. I repositioned the hose and it was fine for a day and the hose came off and almost flooded the stand, luckily I was home. I didn't have clamps so used crazy glue. It's a pain to get the top off with the hoses spinning but no leaks for several months. Aquarium glue wouldn't hold.

I too had a slow leak after I moved the reactor. I added clamps more for safety and peace of mind and have had an issue. Still able to unscrew pretty easily when changing media.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What works really well on the rubber 90's on the reactor is nylon wire ties tightened with a wire tie gun.

Thanks much I will give it a shot...I did notice the rubber was pretty soft.
Plus it would take up less room then the clip.

The ease of pulling off the hose really bugged me, so mine have little wire ties on all connections except one of the ones right on top, for ease in flushing the new carbon/GAC (with an alternate hose).

yea my unit was also really easy to pull hose out of fitting, but i just left it and its been fine since now..