• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

To many fish?

Was wondering if I had to many fish or can I get more
Tank is a 120
I have the following
3 clown fish
1 clown tang
1 flame angel
2 antheis
1 fire fish
1 Melanarus wrasse
am I at my limit would like to get a
Blue throat trigger
Or something of that size

It's hard the 2 are paired and the other host my Rbta an the clown tang is my favorite fish I know he should be in a 6foot but he is happy and eats great

I'm in the same boat (120 gal). And made a decision to get rid of my favorite lavender tang.
Now, the question, how do you catch it ? rock-work has plenty of hiding places.

I'm in the same boat (120 gal). And made a decision to get rid of my favorite lavender tang.
Now, the question, how do you catch it ? rock-work has plenty of hiding places.
buy a breeder net that sticks to the glass. put some of the tangs favorite food in there and when he swims in, turn it upright so he cant swim out.

My initial thought is you can put a few more fish in a 120.

Live Aquaria says Blue Throats can be kept in up 125g or more, which in my opinion is close enough to your tank's size.
I think the real questions are can your tank handle the extra bioload produced by a fish the size of a blue throat, and how will your smaller, less aggressive fish (anthias, fire fish) do with such a large tank mate.

Just a point of reference, our 80g frag tank holds:
purple tang
anthia (he was being beat up when in our display)
bangaii cardinal
true perc clown pair (we have another pair upstairs in the DT)
melanarus wrasse
yellow watchman goby
purple tang

I would not call the 80g frag tank crowded by any means. I would not add a trigger to the 80g, but it is only 2/3 the size of your DT.

I think my tank could handle him I am very good with keeping up on tank maintenance but you do raise a good point semi aggressive fish could turn to aggressive fish and mess with the smaller fish. I think i will pass I just really like the way trigger fish look I guess it's on to the next one. Maybe another tang :)
Thanks everyone

I think my tank could handle him I am very good with keeping up on tank maintenance but you do raise a good point semi aggressive fish could turn to aggressive fish and mess with the smaller fish. I think i will pass I just really like the way trigger fish look I guess it's on to the next one. Maybe another tang :)
Thanks everyone
I have 7 inch lavender tang just for u.:cat:

I think there are two matters here. So are you asking about one of them or both? The first is - what is the total water system size - for purposes of bio-load? The second is - is your present stocking in the 120g display tank OK with fish behavior and compatibility. I'd be curious to know the specs of the total water system - volume of water, sumps, fuges, how often the water is changed and how much is changed, etc. IMO the bigger the water system, the less stress on the display tank and the more boys and girls it can manage. I try to do 33% of the total water in displays, and 66% in sumps and fuges. It's all just opinion, but that's mine.