• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

To much watt on heater is bad?

Since its the cold days my heater cant keep temp. high enough during night hours. I want to use a 250w since I will be upgrading soon to something much bigger I have a 29g atm. Am I looking for trouble using the 250w or even higher then that?

Unless you have extraordinary conditions, like keeping the tank in an unheated basement or garage, you should size a heater at about 2 to 3 watts per gallon. In other words you want about a 75 or 100 watt heater. That should be all you need. The old "rule" of 5 watts per gallon was way too much if you had a failure.

This is once case where you do not want to go larger than you need. A 250w heater would have an excellent chance of cooking your livestock, if it fails in the on position.

As usual, with any SW equipment, always get top quality. My personal preference,for a good all round heater, is Jager, now owned by Eheim. Although there are others that are just as good. Avoid the cheep ones at all costs, too many of those easily let salt creep in, destroying the heater.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Keep in mind that smaller tanks cool much faster than large tanks. With a 90 gallon tank and a 30 gallon sump, I need 600 watts of heaters to keep them at temp, where a 180 could probably have no problem at all with 600 watts. So here is a case of the 3-5 watt rule doesn't help.

I use 3 heaters and have the temp controlled by an Aquacontroller. As a second safetly, the thermostat in each heater is set to be 2 degrees about the Aquacontroller temp.

I'm really surprised you need 600w of heaters to keep the tank at the temp you want. For years I ran a similar setup, and a 250w heater did just fine, and the tank was in the basement. Of course, such an arrangement will work, but I think it's a lot more than needed.

I do like the idea of using a controller to operate the heaters. Thermostats is most aquarium grade heaters are terrible, and often prone to fail in the on position.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
DaveK said:
I'm really surprised you need 600w of heaters to keep the tank at the temp you want. For years I ran a similar setup, and a 250w heater did just fine, and the tank was in the basement. Of course, such an arrangement will work, but I think it's a lot more than needed.

I do like the idea of using a controller to operate the heaters. Thermostats is most aquarium grade heaters are terrible, and often prone to fail in the on position.

My sump is in the basement - that is normally like 60 degrees in the Winter. We keep the house temp at 68 during the day and 60 at night, so it has to work hard to keep it at temp. I could remove 1 and get down to 400 watts but then it will just run constantly. At 600 watts, the warm backup time is only slight longer than the cooling time.

Yeah, 60 degrees is really making those heaters work. Have you tried insulating the sump somehow? Or at least on 3 sides?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
calaxa said:
Yeah, 60 degrees is really making those heaters work. Have you tried insulating the sump somehow? Or at least on 3 sides?

yep, that is with styrofoam board on 3 sides and the bottom.

Insulate with higher R value? Fiberglass R-19? J/K. Guess that would be too risky and quite itchy any time you needed to do maintenance.