• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

To skim or not to skim

Hey all, I want your opinions on this. I have an octopus skimmer and it works really well. I have a refugium with Caulerpa and my Nitrate levels are below 1.0 and my Caulerpa is starting to disappear. I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to just let the Caulerpa do its job and stop skimming. Any thoughts?

imo it depends on the size of your tank and what you are keeping. SPS or a larger tank, then I would say keep both. If it's a nano, then just the macro should be fine.

I would never stop skimming. caulerpa Can't take out all the gunk your skimmer does. Unless it is a nano you can just do big weekly water changes

It all depends what livestock you are keeping and your approach to reefing.

If you are running an ultra-low nutrient system and keeping demanding SPS, keep skimming.

If you are keeping mostly zoas, softies, nutrient loving LPS, there are many reefers who don't run a skimmer at all.

What's in your tank?

I would never risk running a tank w/o a skimmer. I have a mixed reef with only LPS/Zoas/Mushrooms. I also have a fuge w/ a DSB and Caulerpa. I have an area of my fuge that is filled with LR and dark so sponges form on the rock like a cryptic filter. I run a phosphate reactor and carbon as well. IMO, I like a mix of everything to help filter the tank.

Skimming ain't magic, it's just a method of nutrient export. ::)

There are many others, as well as many ways of keeping nutrients out of a tank. ;)

Like Bill has said, it all depends upon YOUR tank.

I am big on skimming! That said, i am considering setting up a 26 g zoa tank without one. Probably only one or two fish tops. Just filter sock, carbon & WCs would be the concept, but that's a big strech for SPS or even moderate fish load IMO.

I have to agree with vangvace, water changes and a good fuge with a nano is doable.

Plus IMHO the nano sized skimmers suck. So unless you add a good sized skimmer to a nano you are left with an expensive piece of junk.

Generally, that's true, but, you'd be suprized what you can do with a BP2 skimmer, a mesh modded MJ and a small air compressor. You can make that puppy skim like a mad man! If you have a sump on your nano, the options are many.