• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

To Vista or not to Vista...

That's my question :D

I got a new Dell last December, I've barely used it as it's in the unfinished basement playroom/office (which we pretty much don't go in sadly)... that said my computer is acting terribly down there, I'm guessing I have a virus even though I run norton. I can't locate anything but it's begging for a reformat. I qualified for a free copy of Vista when it came out and have it sealed still since I never upgraded since I heard people had issues. Since I have to do a reformat anyways I'm wondering if I should give Vista a try or would you just install the original operating system instead and leave Vista sealed up ;)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Candi,
First I would find out what Vista patch release they are up to. If you install Vista you would probably have to download the patches. This would depend on what the patch is for and then you have to decide. If your not that computer savvy you would have to download them all. If you go the other route, pick / choose, keep track of which ones you installed. This way if you have a problem you can install the others.

Mark

Don't do it! My job is in computers and I hear nothing but bad things! If all you want to do is ride the internet then I would not think it would matter but if you want to do ANYTHING special it will probably not work.

I think I'll just reformat back to how it came from Dell... I don't do anything to fancy, bills... web... photo editing... camcorder/dvd transfer etc. Figured since I had to do a reformat anyways I'd see if it was worth installing.

I wouldn't say I'm super computer savvy but I've delt with my fair share of computer issues, am the queen of helping people reformat when needed in my family/friends (and hate it LOL) and for once just want a computer that works (on hubbys MacBook right now... my next computer will be a MAC!)

If you bought that computer that long ago, even though the time frame qualified you for a free upgrade, the hardware may have compatibility issues. There have been horror stories of compatibility issues because of drivers with even some of the self assembled "super computers".

The other major compatibility issues have been with extrenal devices as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if suddenly the camcorder or printer stopped working, or worked flakey.

I'd stay far, far away from Vista. Stick to Win XP (Pro version if possible).

As for the virus, I was a long time Norton fan up until about a year and a half ago. Now, I'm hooked on Zone Alarm Pro Internet Suite. Norton is flakey at best, and has become so "mainstream", it's as bad as mcafee anymore. Zone Alarm is comparable in price point, and the firewall is extremely configurable and does an excellent job of blocking incoming as well as outgoing. It does have an email monitor, but I use web mail because I don't trust email clients with some of the friends and family I have as far as I can throw it, so I can't really comment on that. The spyware blocker works ok (about as well, if not slightly better than most other integrated spyware blockers) so I still run a combination of adaware and spybot. They all seem to catch things the others do not. And for the computer power users out there, check the services and background processes Norton's needs to run. I think they are up to what, 6? Zonealarm runs 2. And go figure, it actually REMEMBERS your permission settings, unlike Nortons! (the computer geeks know what I mean! LOL!)

I also use Firefox as opposed to IE because of the security issues with IE.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
If you reformat and reinstall xp, but without all the additional trash, or 'bloatware' that dell puts on a computer, you're going to be so happy with your computer's performance.

Thanks Guys! I guess I'll reinstall XP (I hear you on removing extras, I did that when I bought it but easier to do a clean new install) I just hate all the updating that follows a reformat so I've been putting it off.

Spybot: last time I used this it REALLY slowed down my system, so much that I had to uninstall it... has that changed (assuming it has or you wouldn't be using/recommending it ;) )

Completely forgot about Zone, I used their firewall years ago... will have to check that out as well!

I think my favorite Norton moment was on my old system when I was told "virus found, can not quarantine or remove" LOL the computer equivalent to "you have 24 hours to live, sorry"

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Candi,

Drop by my house with your computer and some of those mysis shrimp and I'll hook that computer up for ya.

Reformatting people's busted computers is a bit of a hobby. ;)

Candi,

before you do the reinstall, which by they way will cause loss of all your personal files, maybe you should look for some more obvious spyware on your system. In many instances anti-virus software will not handle them properly. When you cleanly boot a machine, and before you start any other program, write down the full list of all processes from your task manager. Then, if you do not recognize any of them, Google them on the web. There are several web sites dedicated to such thing that are keeping track of all the spyware and virus programs as well as usefull stuff that will give you brief explanation of what the program does and if it is harmfull, usefull or harmless. Maybe there is something there that is messing your machine. Another reason for slowdown is messed up registry. While registry repair is usually not fruitful, things can be helped a bit by uninstalling the software that is not in use. Try identifying any software that you are not using through the control panel and installing it.
In the old days, defragmenting disks was another easy way of fixing slowdown problems. These days it usually is not a problem, but youmight try it anyway.

As for the Vista, it is pure disappointment. It is touted as security fix over XP, but the only way you can do anything usefull without HUGE WASTE of time is by completely disabling security feature. It is beyond me how someone can be so STUPID to set it that way. You can't turn on or off some security features, so in the end you end up with Vista being more vulnerable then XP. And I won't even go into Vista not talking to Samba and similar "features".

Oh, and by the way, if you are reinstaling OS, reinstalling it from originall Dell's disks is much better idea then from MS. Your computer is new so its hardware and consequently the drivers for it are probably still mainstream supported by MS, and will probably be on their disks. Try reinstalling the OS on 5-6 year old PC - that is fun ::)

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As a Network Administrator and Engineer, I can say in a Network Corporate Environment Vista is a great tool as we as administrators have some much control on what the person can and can't do with their computers. Automatic software changes, rollouts are all possible also, single instance imaging (for you corp geeks out here)

That being said for the HOME USER, Vista is usually not a good choice. The average home user is using the Internet, taking pictures, doing some work processing, etc. Off the shelf purchases of hardware and software can give compatibility issues with VISA as the new security model being used and whether or not the manufacturer has updated drivers for Vista.

Other issue is that most people don't have the adequate hardware to run Vista, epsecially the high demands on video. If you don't have at least 1GB of memory and a high quality video card, don't even think of it. XP Professional is much better suited for the task. And despite the ad hype, XP isn't going away anytime soon.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
The only problem with trying to fix whatcha got with a computer that came installed with all sorts of bloatware is that it's a total uphill battle. All that crap is like pollution.

Sometimes it's best to just burn a dvd or something with your files (or multiple dvds) and start fresh.

Well, almost every time, that's a better solution. It's like getting a whole new computer.

pgordemer said:
As a Network Administrator and Engineer, I can say in a Network Corporate Environment Vista is a great tool as we as administrators have some much control on what the person can and can't do with their computers. Automatic software changes, rollouts are all possible also, single instance imaging (for you corp geeks out here)
Precisely all those things that this corp geek is constantly battling his IT service against ::)

There is nothing more frustrating then setting up some complex simulation to run for days over weekend, just to come on Monday and find out that some #@%$@! from Corp IT has remotely rebooted your machine so he can install some ridiculous patch. Then you get a real case of Mondays :mad:

;D

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mladencovic said:
pgordemer said:
Precisely all those things that this corp geek is constantly battling his IT service against ::)

There is nothing more frustrating then setting up some complex simulation to run for days over weekend, just to come on Monday and find out that some #@%$@! from Corp IT has remotely rebooted your machine so he can install some ridiculous patch. Then you get a real case of Mondays :mad:

;D

But since I am the Engineer that uses a system and administers a network, that doesn't happen here. And if you are a smarter Administrator guy your network monitor system will detect that something is running and leave it alone :eek:

We are civil engineers with 40 servers and 200+ computers in 4 locations, so the software we run is pretty complicated. Now if I can get a handle on the babysitting on the engineers down patt. (Civil Engineers, the smartest dumb people you will ever meet. They design the roads, grading and drainage, then trip on the curb when walking across it)

Vista.....sucks!
Stay with XP Pro SP2

First backup, your documents, pictures, musics, favorites, address book and whatever personal important stuff.
Download new update drivers for your hardware, in your case go to Dell. (Drivers: Chipset drivers for your system board, sound, video, network) Put this on a CD.
For best performance...ALWAYS choose a custom install!!
Insert a Dos Boot disk..F8 take>option 6> Type fdisk
Restart>F8> type Format c:
Restart>put in your Windows XP Pro SP2 CD

Good luck!

LMAO.

Say no to Vista! :p

Seriously. My Dad decided to do in the old computer, and ended up getting some sort of a Dell WITH Vista. I don't really know which one, since I stopped paying attention when that computer became useless to me... as in when I finally got a copy of the Adobe CS package (**warm fuzzies for Adobe CS**). However, from what I've seen, the stories about not having an adequate set up, even with a new computer, are true. Vista has done nothing for this model except for bog it down tremendously. My poor Mum, who is not computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination, calls me to complain and sounds really close to ripping her hair out because of this computer- and all from Vista related issues.

I agree with many of the posters here. It is WAY too resource intensive for an avergage computer which 95% of people have. For ecample if you have a 3.2GHZ with 2 GB or ram and a 120GB HDD, Vista will run o.k, that's right, just ok. If you take that same computer and put a fresh copy of Windows XP SP2 it will fly. And god forbid you picked up on those "classic $499 Dell specials with Vista on it, you're new computer would run TERRIBLE!! I'm not exaggerating, either. IF you have ANY specialized software(i.e Quickbooks, Photoshop, Antivirus, practically anything) plan on upgrading those as well, because many will not work on Vista. All in all, Vista looks real cool with many new and great ideas, but, computers are just not ready for this OS.

Just my experience,

Dave

I don't think you have much of a choice. According to the sales rep at Best Buy, as of 1/07 ALL of Best Buys pcs come with Vista already installed.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Greg,

A person ought not buy a laptop at best buy, unless they have some kind of store credit, super coupons, or some other out-of-the-ordinary reason.

Heck, I wouldn't buy a TV there either.