• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Toadstool leather help

Hey everyone I have two leathers close to each other. I do have to remove one. Both on the same rock. They are getting good flow and have been happy and healthy since I got them over a month ago. Last night we noticed some large white spots on them. Not sure if this was the start of a shed. But weird they are both showing the same signs.
water is good
Nitrate 0
Phos 0
Alk 9
Cal 440
Ph 8.148D00E02-AF70-4B59-9802-AA005B02EBE6.jpeg02C1863C-EE32-4D54-8361-7B7CBCFD002C.jpeg

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
If your tests are accurate then 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate are a big problem. The leather is basically starving and as it continues to lose energy it will continue to degrade.

Yeah I’ve been battling this issue for a little while now. Had a little bout of Dino’s to boot. I haven’t been doing water changes. Just siphoning and reusing the same water just to remove some algae. I was debating on dosing some nitrate to help. I only have 2 small clowns 1 smaller fairy wrasse and a diamond watchmen.

Let me feed your tank for a week and I guarantee you won't have the low phosphate issue lol.....Currently in a battle myself with trying to keep my phos down + keeping all my fish happy at the same time lol. But good luck with the toadstool issue!
Hahaha. I may have to take you up on that. I have an apex auto feeder but the fish don’t seem to like the pellets haha. Thank you.

Hahaha. I may have to take you up on that. I have an apex auto feeder but the fish don’t seem to like the pellets haha. Thank you.
Have you tried flakes before? Not all my fish take to pellets but everyone in the tank goes nuts for ocean nutrition prime reef flakes

Have you tried flakes before? Not all my fish take to pellets but everyone in the tank goes nuts for ocean nutrition prime reef flakes
Haven’t tried those yet. I didn’t know you can do flake out of the AFS? I was using the auto feeder while I’m at work.

Haven’t tried those yet. I didn’t know you can do flake out of the AFS? I was using the auto feeder while I’m at work.
I have an ehiem auto feeder which you can use flakes in but it's extremely inconsistent because of the random flake sizes. I just throw flakes in in the a.m. before work manually, pellets in the auto feeder around noon and then I feed frozen at night

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
feed your tank with some reef chili or something and they should perk right up. Just broadcast feed maybe 1×-2× per week

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
before you start over feeding the tank I'd verify those numbers with another reliable test kit. If you're siphoning out water just to get the algae out then those numbers are inaccurate. You're getting 0 phosphates after the algae has already "been fed"

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a similar issue.
Phos is 0.25 Nitrate is 15ppm.
One leather will not extend and the other only when blues are on.
My sand is turning neon green now for some reason as well. I increased the white lights some because the colors on some fish and corals was to dark.
SO I assume that caused the neon algae.

before you start over feeding the tank I'd verify those numbers with another reliable test kit. If you're siphoning out water just to get the algae out then those numbers are inaccurate. You're getting 0 phosphates after the algae has already "been fed"
I’m using 2 different kits currently for nitrate. API and Salifert both giving the same results. I only started siphoning and reusing water when I was trying to get rid of the Dino’s. I think I have them at bay. Cleaned multiple rocks and it hasn’t come back in a week. And cut back lighting to 8 hours. Not sure how else to test the water

Can we get more info please. Tank size, age, feeding regiment and photo period. I agree with hacker. If you have algae that your needing to remove than you don’t have zero nitrates. It just doesn’t work that way. Also. The more info the better. And if your test is accurate leathers must have more nutrient rich water. But don’t just start dumping in food Willy Nilly. Send as much info as you can. Even if it seems unimportant

Aannndddd... again not saying do nothing. But I have had on more than one occasion had a perfectly good looking large leather. Appear to just about die. Turn dark. Shrink, no polyps and Just sit there drooping while it’s brothers and sisters look fine in same tank. Leave it be and a month later it’s looking like a show piece. And yes I know what shedding is. But in a couple of cases it has been more like a reset. But send info. More info is always best chance for best diagnoses.

Aannndddd... again not saying do nothing. But I have had on more than one occasion had a perfectly good looking large leather. Appear to just about die. Turn dark. Shrink, no polyps and Just sit there drooping while it’s brothers and sisters look fine in same tank. Leave it be and a month later it’s looking like a show piece. And yes I know what shedding is. But in a couple of cases it has been more like a reset. But send info. More info is always best chance for best diagnoses.
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate all the info. I have a 54 gallon corner tank lighting schedule is 10am to 7pm and for now they are just black box lights. They are doing okay for now. Going to swap them soon. I have had the tank running for 6 months or so now. I have two small clowns a fairy wrasse and a diamond watchman. Feeding 2-3 times a day about 1/4 cube per feeding mixed with some pellets. What I was siphoning out of the tank was dinoflagellates. I was told since my parameters were so low performing water changes was not a good idea. I think I have them beat. But I’m trying to slowly raise my nitrates. Not working yet

A
and also the leathers are fully open polyps fully extended. And cat even see the white spots while they are open. Just when they are closed.

A

and also the leathers are fully open polyps fully extended. And cat even see the white spots while they are open. Just when they are closed.
They don’t sound that bad. Probably just shedding. Sounds to me you are handling it fine. Slowly raising your nitrates a little. I usually get dark areas on my leather. But have seen white occasionally