• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Today my protein skimmer killed my Lights

So having been tied up with work lately I neglected to check the skimmer collection cup the past 2 days and last night I guess it started to spill out and dripped onto the ac/dc adaptor for my lights shorting it out... hopefully it's just the power block I have to replace but shopping around to try and find a replacement that doesn't cost half the price of buying a brand new light I have run into a few questions mainly when it comes to the DC barrel plug it self and determining the size so I get an exact match20170511_154257.jpg 20170511_154303.jpg 20170511_154331.jpg 20170511_154311.jpg any one with any experience in this sorta of thing that can offer guidance?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
More than likely the power brick got hit with salt water. Thats happend to me before...I let it dry out and got it to work again. It may still work, it may not but worse case just replace the power brick. You can get them for under $20 on amazon

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Find a brick that carries the same voltage/amps/output and just replace it. It does not have to be through an aquatics brand....as long as the numbers match up.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Is that plug for the light? That plugs into the power source correct?

More than likely if the connection was snug, it may have not been affected....assuming the water took the shortest path, my money is that the water went down the wire, past that connection and into the plug where the power brick meets the power source.

Again assuming you had it mounted with the brick on the floor, and the wire running vertically from your light source.....

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What is critical for your power supply is that it needs to be 12 volts and a minimum of 4.0 Amps, and the outer ring negative, inner ring positive. THIS one from Amazon should do it.

51QxOLf8qZL.jpg