• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tom's 24 Aquapod

This tank has been set up since Feb. It is home to a sebae clown and a royal gramma along with lots of hermits, snails etc. Although I have had a couple of mishaps along the way I have been pretty patient with not adding too much to fast. I have just started adding some corals and plan on adding plenty more ;D. Sorry about the poor quality photo's. Camera phone.lol Enjoy.

Hello and welcome to NJRC.

Good luck with the tank first off. Nice to always have another nanite on the team. :D If it is not to much trouble is there any chance you might be able to list your parameters here on the site?

Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
Phosphates
Silicates,
Calcium
Temperature Swings
PH
Specific Gravity
Pumps in the tank? GPH?

Seems as though you have some algae in there and since it has been online since February it concerns me a little. How long are your lights on? What is the temperature swing low to high? How often you doing water changes? Are you using RODI? Distilled? Tap? Is the tank in a room near a window?

Just curious as I would have of expected more coralline by this time. You are definitely working it out. I was just wondering if you would be so kind to share with us.

Again, Really... Welcome to the site. Happy to have you as one of the family.. :D

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate Barely reads at 5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Phosphates Shows between o and 0.25 ppm on test chart
Silicates, Got me on that one ???
Calcium little over 400
Temperature Swings 2 degrees at the most depending on how high kids crank up AC that day.
PH 8.4
Specific Gravity 1.023
Water change 5 gal a week
Pumps in the tank? two. Stock pump and 1 power head. Originally I had built a power head into the chamber( if you look close you will see the nozzle sticking off the back wall to the left. That crapped out about two weeks ago so I added the grey colored power head you see. I didn't want to pull everything out to remove the other power head and disrupt things so I will replace it next time I clean up in the chamber. I use LR rubble in the chamber and use only one of the filter sponge it came with. I would have liked to have had more coraline also but I'll just have to wait I guess. I do not dose with anything. and clean the glass between 1 to 2 weeks apart. That pic is not the best for the house keeping award but it's the only one that the fish was in. ;) Posting a pic with some algae is kinda like having an accident when wearing dirty underwear :eek: Thanks.
Tom

Unfortunately the tank gets more indirect sunlight than I care for. Always use RO water and Instant Ocean salt.

well it definitely seems like you have it down.. That red hair algae is such a nuisance. I hope you can keep it under control. I suggest using some phosguard 100ml bag in the back chamber some place for 4 days. If your phosphate are not at 0 or close then replace the bag. If you can muster it, then get a silicate test kit from Red Sea.. Pretty damn good. Just to check. The phosguard will remove most all phosphate and if it runs out of that will attack the silicate really hard. Nice product.

You might want to consider raising your PH closer to actual seawater as well. 1.025-1.026 in that area. My tank seems to like it a lot, but not a requirement. Not sure what test kit you are using for nitrate, but mine only starts at 5. I happen to have a tetra nitrate master kit that is about 7 years old and still works to compare along with a lamotte nitrate kit. I like to triple check on occasion.

Everything else looks good.. Might want to pick yourself up a magnesium test kit and see what it is. Calcium and Mg go hand in hand.. too high no good, too low no good. Might want to check that out as well. It might help determine why the coralline is growing so slowly.

Thanks for the information back.. and welcome to the club :D