• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Toms 75

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
You planning on painting the wooden stand? That would look nice too.. and possibly putting a cabinet door to hide everything. :)

Oh yeah. I'm going to put a facade on the whole thing. Just leaving it open for now so its all easier to work on

Sent from my SCH-I535

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Time to start making water. Just waiting on my new return pump to come in.
edymu3an.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tommy, what fixture are you using over your frag tank. I’m going to be setting up a similar size frag tank and would like to know what you’re using.

I like the DT/Frag tank arrangement you have, getting frags out of the DT, and not cluttering up the DT.. However, I do have a slight concern in the stand that you’ve built in that it is being supported by the screws or nails you used to assemble that stand. They will eventually start to rust and…. You need to add additional dimensional lumber to directly support the upper frame of the stand. Here is a picture of what I’m talking about. Note that the upper and lower frames are supported by a direct connection of 2x4’s.

Stand.jpg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Tommy, what fixture are you using over your frag tank. I’m going to be setting up a similar size frag tank and would like to know what you’re using.

I like the DT/Frag tank arrangement you have, getting frags out of the DT, and not cluttering up the DT.. However, I do have a slight concern in the stand that you’ve built in that it is being supported by the screws or nails you used to assemble that stand. They will eventually start to rust and…. You need to add additional dimensional lumber to directly support the upper frame of the stand. Here is a picture of what I’m talking about. Note that the upper and lower frames are supported by a direct connection of 2x4’s.

Stand.jpg

Already realized it. Oversight on my part. Thanks for the catch. The light is from apollo reef led. Two manually dimmable channels.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
you gotta live it when you walk into the living room and find this.

20131124_182321_zps82714f66.jpg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
When you look at the tank every day you dont notice this kinda growth!

May 2013
4adygama.jpg

Now
yve9a9y4.jpg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Been a while since if updated the thread. Tank is doing pretty well. Other than a recent climb to 12dkh things have been steady. I recently added some more bio pellets to my reactor as the current batch had no been replenished in quite some time. I remember when I first added pellets to the system 2 years ago I got an alk spike. To bad I forgot about it when I topped up the reactor. Between that and my lazy testing the alk must have climed slowly over a month or so before I noticed some mild bleaching on my monti caps. I managed to bring the alk back down slowly and only lost a small Jedi mind trick frag and some zoas. One thing I'm thinking of doing is getting the hydra upgrade for my sols

image.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Been a while since if updated the thread. Tank is doing pretty well. Other than a recent climb to 12dkh things have been steady. I recently added some more bio pellets to my reactor as the current batch had no been replenished in quite some time. I remember when I first added pellets to the system 2 years ago I got an alk spike. To bad I forgot about it when I topped up the reactor. Between that and my lazy testing the alk must have climed slowly over a month or so before I noticed some mild bleaching on my monti caps. I managed to bring the alk back down slowly and only lost a small Jedi mind trick frag and some zoas. One thing I'm thinking of doing is getting the hydra upgrade for my sols

View attachment 8970

The picture really doesn't do justice to the tank. It's really exceptionally beautiful.

Awesome tank Tom!
I see what you mean about the frogspawn being a gorilla. When I set up my 75, I thought two MP10s would be plenty of flow. The more I look around, I think I should have went with the 40s. What mode and intensity do you run the 40 on? Any problems with it kicking up sand?

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I have a 40 and a 10. Run them on antisync reef crest at about 50%. Iv run then all the way up to about 80% before the sand starts kicking up. The 40 moves a lot of water.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tanks looking really nice Tom! I was watching the vid you posted though and noticed some things that I thought I should mention...

The biopellet reactor looks like it will get a lot of light when the sump/fuge light is on. From what I've read about them, it's best to keep them in the dark to prevent other organisms from growing or hanging out in the reactor.

Also, if you still have them tumbling at that rate, you might want to slow it down just a bit. The optimal flow rate is when the top layer gently tumbles. I know there are issues of the media clumping up if the movement is too slow... but the pellets work better with a slower flow rate due to more contact time for the water flowing through it.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Tanks looking really nice Tom! I was watching the vid you posted though and noticed some things that I thought I should mention...

The biopellet reactor looks like it will get a lot of light when the sump/fuge light is on. From what I've read about them, it's best to keep them in the dark to prevent other organisms from growing or hanging out in the reactor.

Also, if you still have them tumbling at that rate, you might want to slow it down just a bit. The optimal flow rate is when the top layer gently tumbles. I know there are issues of the media clumping up if the movement is too slow... but the pellets work better with a slower flow rate due to more contact time for the water flowing through it.

Thanks George. I don't have a fuge. That light is just for working in the sump so it's dark 99% of the time. I keep meaning to get one of the door activated switches for it as I do forget to turn it off occasionally. As for the tumble rate, it's a lot slower than that. Can't remember what I'd been doing before I shot that video but I had probably been tinkering and didn't put things back to normal.