• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tonga Bans Live Rock Export

Tonga has banned the export of live rock.

Here is an interesting discussion on RC that sheds some light on some of the challenges to saving the reefs.

Tonga Ban

i read a thread on swf.com blog about someone saying they had bought some live rock that looked man made.... it might have been then...

What I found interesting are the points made by Greenbean, that banning the export of live rock may lead to greater reef destruction. The local people will have to switch how they earn a living from the reef to more destructive methods like havesting rock and sand for construction material.

Along the same lines there are some interesting thoughts regarding the impact of switching all hobby related coral acquisition to domestically grown frags.

The idea of developing industries based on harvesting livestock from delicate ecosystems using sustainable methods is not new. Butterfly farming has been employed as a method to preserve sections of the rainforest in Africa and South America.

When i was in the dominican republic the walkways throughout the resort were make fron live rock. Every couple blocks you saw a slice of a porties colony or brain coral.

SAD SAD SAD. They dont even know what there doing.

Unfortunately until the governments learn to take on the responsibility of sustaining the lands and life around them while preserving the ecosystems, the entire argument is moot. The people as a whole wont do it without leadership. And businesses still need to meet the bottom line day after day. So their solution is going to be what they can afford.

That thread was very eye opening to what goes on in that part of the industry.........its actually left me disgusted and questioning being in the hobby at all.........

stcreef said:
That thread was very eye opening to what goes on in that part of the industry.........its actually left me disgusted and questioning being in the hobby at all.........

I think the hobby is good for the ecosystem in the long run. People will preserve what they love. And ya gotta love reefs once you've had one in the home. ;)

What we need to do is to continue to find ways to channel our hobby dollars in a way that can encourage wise reef management.

I might have to budget some dollars to spend with Dr. Mac this year. Based on his club presentation a while back, I believe his operation directly employs divers in the pacific.

I agree with both of the last two comments. The best example I can think of is Bonaire, they have created a good economy by protecting what nature gave them. Divers really appreciate what they have so it is win win.