• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

torch coral

Hi guys i am new to reefing and was wondering how hard torch coral is to keep. I also want to know what are the good reef / fish stores are in north new jersey - mostly in Bergen County.
Hopefully you can help. Thanks

-Dylan B. ;D

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
i would say torch corals are med\hard to keep. They at least in my tanks always end up stinging other corals and then dieing. If you do get one make sure you give it alot of room. as far as North NJ store I'm hitting up a bunch tomorrow I'll let you know if I see one.

I am new also and I got 2 torches from Aquatic Obsession and they are doing great, my tank is about a month old now and both torches are doing good. Will from AO told me they are very hardy. I also have it right next to a frogspawn and it doesnt seem to bother either of them

thanks guys. i have two occelaris. maybe if i get one they will host, but that doesn't really matter. how much do they range in stores like aquatic obsessions?

-Dylan B.

Well, for Nothern New Jersey Stores, there'd probably The Fish Tank rt 46 in Saddle Brook, and Absolutely fish Rt 46 in Clifton. Personally I think that AF is overpriced mostly, and the fish tank's corals are very over priced, but fish selection is good at both.

jsantoli said:
I am new also and I got 2 torches from Aquatic Obsession and they are doing great, my tank is about a month old now and both torches are doing good. Will from AO told me they are very hardy. I also have it right next to a frogspawn and it doesnt seem to bother either of them

Joe - the torch coral is part of the same genus as the frogspawn coral, as well as the "hammer" coral. They all are of the Euphyillia Family...hence promixity of these corals near one another typically does not matter. However, they all have really long sweeper tentacles and can easily sting other corals that are near.

From my personal experience - I found the frog spawn and hammer to be easier to maintain than the torch.

Good luck!

I had a torch coral and the thing grew like crazy. I was able to keep it off to the side of the tank away from other corals. They are very nice additions to a tank if you have enough room for it.

and f.y.i. from what i understand, which in most cases is not that much, torches, frog spawns, hammers, and such, don't really like to be hosted.... one of my clowns flirts with my frogspawns. and sometimes the frogs seem rather disinterested...

Roy,
Unfortunately its hit or miss with hosting of lps. Sometimes the clowns mucus coat can adapt to the sting the of the torch hammer or frogspawn. Once they can adapt the coral wouldnt even know the clowns in them because its mucus coat lets it move freely and react like its a threat. You may notice some small black dots on sides of the clown from hosting it.

As you said its possible but i wouldnt garuntee it.