• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Torch help

My torch isn't looking so good i noticed this long brown stuff coming out which i though must of been some algae or something but i noticed it again and it's alot longer. Is it dying? I just got it a few days ago :'( I've got it about mid under my T5's with mid flow too It was looking so good ealier but now it's poylps are short and not looking very happy... Here is a quick pic i took if it helps any :-\ Everything else looks fine
http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003418at0.jpg

Thanks,
~Nick

Nick,

Your link doesn't work but what you are describing sounds like brown jelly disease. You need to work fast to save this coral if it is. Siphon out all the dead tissue (the brown slime) then Iodine/Lugol dip ASAP. It took out my torch in 3 days while I was trying to get info on what was happening.

thanks,
i just checked on it and it looks normal againwill it keep happening or was it just some fluke? :-\
All the brown stuff is gone... idk if it fell off or what but if it is brown jelly disease i should dip the normal amount?

EDIT: never mind i just looked at it and one of the branches is closed up... Now i have a zoa right beside the torch could they be fighting? I know the torch has a good sting but i figured it was just a zoa but now i noticed that the zoa's closed up

Does that work for you?
Brownjellyontorch.jpg

Here is a better one. The only thing is the hairy stuff is gone now, So i don't think this is going to help much :-\ But the 2-3 heads on the left are the ones that had it on them which are still not fully coming out...
100_3420.jpg

It looks ok from your 2nd picture but if you want to be safe, give it a quick iodine dip. Smell the coral. If you detect a rotting smell, then you will know it is brown jelly disease.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Does look like poop. I would expect them to be back out (when the lights are on). What lights do you have over the tank?

Hmm... to me it looked like strands of hair algae coming out. Then it just fell off. Is that what there poop looks like? :-\
Phyl, I have T5's over them, which i just replaced about a week before i bought this guy.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, that's what poop looks like. What kind of flow is it in? If it is getting direct flow it may not be happy from that.

I feel dumb lol Never would of though that was poo... Umm it's not getting alot of flow it's beside a Koralia 2 which is facing the front of the glass so it's just getting the flow bouncing off the front and some from the filter.

Phyl said:
Yes, that's what poop looks like. What kind of flow is it in? If it is getting direct flow it may not be happy from that.

They POOP :eek: LOL i havent used that word since my kids where babies

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd try moving it. I'd hazard to guess it doesn't like what flow it is getting. Try another spot in the tank and see how it responds.

i have a hammer coral i have to move every few months cause he decides he's not happy where he's out.... i really need to get a wake maker some day... would probably solve the issue

It seems to be better in the lower flow also now it's in the sand. Which i read is ideal? Hopefully it won't need moved every month ::) lol
Thanks guys, Hopefully everythings fine now :)