• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Treating AEFW with Prazipro

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
What Darren said makes sense. I have also seen first hand when someone dipped frags in Prazi for AEFW. Prazi is reef safe. So another option is to do prazi dosing at interval of 2 weeks for 3 or 4 treatments. That should get the eggs (after they hatch).

What Darren said makes sense. I have also seen first hand when someone dipped frags in Prazi for AEFW. Prazi is reef safe. So another option is to do prazi dosing at interval of 2 weeks for 3 or 4 treatments. That should get the eggs (after they hatch).

I agree with Sunny, praziquantil is a neat molecule that targets calcium channels in flat worms, tapes etc. Calcium besides building bones,reefs, etc is important for muscle contracture. without it you are paralyzed....and die. I used it in my 55 to get rid of a polyclad flatworm. Since the treatment all my snails are doing well and my tank is stocked with sps,softies and lps. The only one that was annoyed was the ORA green birds nest from Brian, which i believe you have a piece. However, within 24 hours it was fine. If you do use it, all corals will contract polyps temporarily due to the fact that praziquantil has an acidic ph...even with buffers it annoys the sps, but they get over it. No other inverts besides coco worms or feather dusters are affected. This is probably due to evolutionary barriers that protect them ( flatworms are more primitive)

You could just set up a separate tank and put the acros in there while treating. That way no toxins are going to affect others within your frag tank ( which is amazing by the way). If you do though, keep contact time to at least 24 or more hours. I know Sunny and the bottle say 3 days.

Just my 2 cents
Pete

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Nikki

If you go the prazi route, you do not have to cut. As I said, 3 or 4 treatments 2 weeks apart should take care of hatching eggs.

Just my $00.2

Sunny

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
It's fairly well documented that prazi will not work as an in tank treatment for aefw. Best route is to qt and dip for 8 weeks until you break the life cycle. I have been through it and the only in tank treatment is leviasamole and people have crashed their tanks using that.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486941

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is worth a shot. It is reef safe and there is no downside of using it. I know a vendor here used it as a in tank treatment and it worked.
Well, there are opinions it depends on how you take it.

In addition to that I have learned that there are a bunch of arrogant "you know what" on RC. They believe that Sun rises in the west.
I would rather believe in some hands on experience that I have had.

Also with 25 posts in that thread with most asking questions and sympathizing I will not call it "well documented" at all.

Sunny

Last edited:

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Sunny, if it worked there would be hundreds of threads documenting its effectiveness and AEFW wouldn't be such a major problem in this hobby and the makers of Prazipro would be making millions in sales and advertising it as an effective treatment for AEFW.

If you have had "hands on" experiences lets hear about it. I would love to find out if this is really an effective treatment for AEFW. It would be a major discovery in the battle against these pests. Everybody claims certain treatments are "reef safe" when in the end we have no idea what these harsh chemicals are doing to our systems and livestock in the long-run. I for one would never dump any of these chemicals into my system.

I will now stop derailing Mike and Nicole's tank thread.... Sorry guys...

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Prazipro is reef safe and it is a "well documented" fact. My first hand experience is that I have dosed it in my reef a couple of times and it have never had any ill effects. If you are a RC fan then look for parzi and reef safe threads and enlighten yourself.

I do not want to openly name the vendor who fought the AEFW with prazi. You may find it strange given you like to mock your friends in public let alone who are not so fortunate.

I also believe that there are a couple of guys here on our forum who have tried prazi in the reef and have not have issues.

Here is a link to RC

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260067&page=26

There are about 650 posts here. Knock yourself out.

Sunny

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Prazipro is reef safe and it is a "well documented" fact. My first hand experience is that I have dosed it in my reef a couple of times and it have never had any ill effects. If you are a RC fan then look for parzi and reef safe threads and enlighten yourself.

I do not want to openly name the vendor who fought the AEFW with prazi. You may find it strange given you like to mock your friends in public let alone who are not so fortunate.

I also believe that there are a couple of guys here on our forum who have tried prazi in the reef and have not have issues.

Here is a link to RC

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260067&page=26

There are about 650 posts here. Knock yourself out.

Sunny

And fwiw if you read what I said I never stated Prazi wasnt reef safe, I said it was not documented to successfully treat a tank for AEFW. And as for me mocking my friends in public I have no idea what you are talking about!!! That is a pretty strong accusation and I resent it, but hey if you says so Sunny it MUST be true!!!!