• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tropiquarium (Ocean Twp)

I have not seen much posted recently on this place...
I took a ride down this weekend and was very happy I took the time.
There was a great selection and some amazing display tanks.
I did not really get to talk to anyone, so I cannot judge knowledge/helpfullness, but there has to be quite a bit of know-how to keep a store in such good condition.
It appears that they stock everything, from chemicals to tanks, nanos to corals frags as well as fresh and salt water fish & inverts.
Well worth the trip, and I will go again.

http://www.tropiquarium.com/default.asp

Kenny Z.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes Ken, everyone knows Trop. I'm there weekly. If you join their frequant buyer club and give them your NJRC membership card, they'll enter it in their register for some nice savings.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, Trop is the "Gold Standard" in this area. They're who got us into reef keeping. Their pricing leaves a little to be desired but it's still a very good store.

Yea..I was under the impression that this place was no secret judging by the mentions it gets in several posts. I felt it was worth bringing to the for front for new hobbyists such as myself.
I have traveled all over visiting stores and they are def near the top of my list.

Kenny Z.

Hey KennyZ

Trop is most of our home away from home, even when you don't have a dime, you got to trop just to look. And the help there is great, they must have been busy. When you go next time, speak to Austin, he's a nice guy, knowledgeable, and very helpful. If you see the owner tell him Spike said to give you a discount, he'll know who I am and charge you more, lol. A great store.

edwin

Yes they were busy...
It was not a criticism that I did not get to speak to anyone, I personally did not reach out. It is an amazing place.
Kenny Z.

i love loving no more than 10 minutes. The frequent buyer discount is awesome still haven't become a NJRC member so i dont know about that discount but they are awesome up there and will do their most to help you out.

I love loving................hmmmm, it that like being loved, or loving someone, or loving love.............hmmmm

I guess he meant he loves living close to Trop

revclyburn

Went there for the first time today ... Let's just say the display tanks were the high point.

Saltwater selection - low (they had one isle of fish in that giant store ... almost nothing for inverts)
Saltwater prices - high (they mark tiny fish as med size.)
Coral Selection - Very High
Coral Prices - Very High (double sometime triple regular price)
Drygood selection - tons of stuff (lots of tanks)
Drygood price - high (everything i seen could have been cheaper)

I spent about 20 min staring into there display tanks... I left with nothing.

You should go just to see the 2 1600 gallon displays.

All that you say is true but it is a nice clean place. I believe they claim to sell all new tank set ups at just about cost so it is a good place for someone just getting started and when I went there to price out my system they did not try and sell me things I didn't need or upgrade unecessarily.

I was there this weekend as well and left with a flame angel. My kids were buying me something for Father's day with there own $$$$.

they're prices are high but out of all the fish i've bought (LOTS) i think i've only lost about 2? Also, Not sure when you went, but they must have been waiting on an order they have a good amount of SW and a huge amount of inverts. They get their orders in on wed and thurs... go in friday and trust me you wont know what to do with your self.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was there this weekend and snapped some photos for those of you who haven't been there.

The pictures are with the review HERE.

trop is a nice place to visit and "window shop" but too pricey! the dry goods aren't bad but you need a second job just to buy the fish!beautiful stuff though.