• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

trouble maintaining temp

I have a 120 DT with about 20 gallons in the sump. I have a 300 watt heater in my sump. This morning my temp was down to 75. It is set to 79, daytime temp is stable.
Should I change location of the heater
Get a larger heater
Get 2 heaters
What is the best location for the heater

Thanks,
Jose

I have a 120 DT with about 20 gallons in the sump. I have a 300 watt heater in my sump. This morning my temp was down to 75. It is set to 79, daytime temp is stable.
Get a larger heater
Get 2 heaters

Thanks,
Jose

Jose have you check if there's any temp difference between the DT and the sump?...where are are you reading the temp DT or sump?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I think a 300watt heater is too small for a 140g system. I have a 300watt heater on my 54 DT with 10g sump. I noticed the same thing with my windows open that my temp slowly goes from 78/77 to 75/74. Now I don't see any ill affect on my tank so I'm not too concern but I am thinking of getting a second heater which will kick in on those lower temp to tr and keep a stable temp at all time.

I have a 150 and a 200 watt heater on my 65 gallon (a little less than 1/2 the volume of your tank). One is set a few degrees cooler than the other. If one dies, the other can keep the tank at a reasonable temperature. If one locks in the on position, it is not so powerful that it will super heat the tank. The one set higher will turn off and on more than the other, so it will be the one I replace first, with the new one changed to be the higher set temperature. This is for redundancy to reduce risk during failure. Note that when we were at Jenkinson's this week, I was surprised to see they kept their reef tank at 75 degrees. The alternate is to keep your house warmer at night.

Last edited:
C

charterreefer

I
Get a larger heater
Get 2 heaters

Thanks,
Jose
I always keep the heater in a sump chamber that empties from the top. That way the heated water that's always rising will blend into the rest.