• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tunze vs. Vortech

That's odd......why wouldn't it run a nano wavebox? Doesn't matter to me as I wouldn't need one but I find that strange.

Edward771 said:
New had Tunzes yet. One thing I do like about the Vertex is the battery backup. Has anyone else used the Hydor 8's they nice IMO 3000 gph.

Tunze sells a $50 "adapter" that allows you to hook up their pumps to any 12 volt battery. The pumps already run on 12 volts converted from 110 volts. So, it should be a fairly straightforward battery backup setup. I was planning to tie into a large marine battery I have as a sump battery backup because it is constantly trickle charged.

I recently purchased a used mp40 1st gen Vortech pump. I must say not completely sold on it yet, I have a wave and great water movement but it seems a little noisy. Their customer service is great however,I needed a replacement cover and o-ring and received them freewithin a couple of days after getting in touch w/ them. Never owned a Tunze but dont like their size (too large) thats why I replaced my Koralia pumps.

I have 2 tunze and don't see the need for a wave box. Setting the high them to pulse from 0% to 100% alternating will wash water right out of my tank, the wave it makes is amazing. I cant see a wave box doing much more. One pro for the vortechs is the space they take up inside the tank, tunzes are huge

In my case i chose to go with the smaller nanostreams since they are controllable and a wave box.

The wave box adds the swaying motion of the water. The pumps provide the constant movement.

I guess i am going to dial down the 6055's when i use the wavebox