• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Turf-like algae on rocks

Well everything has been goo g. Well until the last few weeks. It appeared that a turf-like algae starred to grow on the rock crevices. Today, two weeks later, it's getting out of hand. I believe partially from overdressing, but Salifert po4 kit is not easy to read. Hanna is on the way. The fuge has never ending cheato. Below are other parameters;

Ca: 450
Alk: 8.4
Mg:1350
Sal: 1.026
Temp: 77.7

DT lights just went out. Picture shows a piece on the sump with same algae. Also, ro/di , non detectable

Led lighting 9 hours/day

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361237507.306396.jpg

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
What are your PO4 and NO3 readings?? High phosphates and nitrates are usually the reason behind algae.

How old is the tank? What equipment are you running? Skimmers, reactors, etc. What does your maintenance routine look like? If your NO3 and PO4 tests show undetectable, it's because they are bound up in the algae.

The tank is 8 months old. I have not checked for po4 & no4 since last week. At that time they were undetectable. I'm waiting for the Hanna for an accurate reading.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How much and how often are you feeding? What are you feeding? The tank bioload and size? How often do you prune the chaeto?

Cheato is pruned every month, it grows quick. Naso tang, chromis, hawkish, six line wrasse, kole tang. Tank is 90dt with 80 gallons for sump and fuge