• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tyler's IM 20g Nano Reef

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tyler, I live in the Princeton area and am a senior at Kean University studying Interior Design. I’m relatively new to Jersey, about 3 years, as I came here for school. Growing up, I’ve kept many freshwater tanks in the past and one low tech reef tank. I used to work at a major pet store chain taking care of the fish tanks, *cough, won’t name any names haha and once upon a time I studied Marine Biology for two years in Florida. I sold my previous reef tank a few years back before I moved to Jersey. As we all tend to do, I got the itch again during the fall last year so here I go! Ha I’ve been ordering all the pieces slowly since then and am getting ready to dive back into saltwater aquaria. I’m looking forward to growing with the hobby as NJ has now become home base. I’ve listed my system specs below. I am still missing some things and am working on getting it all together. Hoping to get this thing running by February! Please feel free to leave feedback, looking forward to getting to know the community!

System:
Tank: Innovative Marine 20 Gallon NUVO Fusion Nano Aquarium
Display Tank Dimensions: 24" x 15" x 13" (Display 24" x 12 x 13)
Sand: Tropic Eden Mini Reef Flakes
Lighting: Twin, Innovative Marine SKKYE 18W – 8000K LEDs
Return Pump: Sicce 1.5 (357 GPH)
Water Circulation: Return Pump with twin IM Spin Streams
Protein Skimmer: Innovative Marine Ghost – Desktop
Auto Top-Off: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Heater: Cobalt Aquatics 75 Watt Submersible
Water: RO/DI made at home via Aquatic Life Twist-In RODI Unit
Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro

Livestock:
Still being developed, planning on a mixed reef, primarily soft corals and LPS, no SPS.

Thanks for reading,
Tyler

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Heya T, welcome aboard!

Almost sounds like you're running one of my tanks. I have 3 IM nanos atm (nuvo 10g, shallow lagoon 25g, abyss drop off 20g). All upgraded Sicce pumps with spin streams, Red Sea Pro salt and Cobalt heaters. Great set ups.
I use Caribsea Special Grade Reef sand on all tanks and for lighting I'm using AI Hydras on the 25g, an AI Prime on the 20g, and the stock Skkye on the 10g.
The Skkye lights are pretty weak on the coral side and aren't going to get you any SPS survivability but works well for softies (zoas, leathers, mushrooms). I haven't tried any LPS (hammer corals and such) with them but it may work.
BTW, here's a great starter coral guide...
best beginner corals – Successful Reef Keeping

Let me know when you're cycled and set up. I'll run a few frags up to you, which gives me an excuse to go to that astounding seafood place on the main drag.

Wow, thanks for warm welcome! @trio91 @Mrx7899x @Mark_C

I purchased the lights with the tank as a "deal" on craigslist. I definitely want to upgrade but as a college student, I have to be selective. I'm already in over my head lol We'll see how it all unfolds, but I have heard about the stock SKKYE lights being weak. Although, as I'm typing this I'm thinking of the LPS I'm in love with (Duncans, Torch, Gonioporas, Alveoporas...) I'd be upset of I couldn't keep them due to lighting... Maybe I can sell The SKKYE's to justify the AI Prime? hmm....

@Mark_C, Glad to hear you have similar setups and that they are all running well. Buying equipment is expensive so it's reassuring to know I've done ok in that department. You're kind to offer some frags once I get up and running! I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I think you are talking about Blue Point Grill on Nassau St? It's great, I went once last year!

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Welcome aboard! My second son is a freshman at Monmouth University and was Biology major until this month. It wasn't for him even though he wanted to be a vet. Now he has to decide what his major will be. Son number 1 is at Rowan University...exit 2 NJ turnpike and a junior.

Hey Guys!
I just recently finally got some dry rock to begin aquascaping. I wanted to post a picture and see if you had any feed back. I happen to like what I've come up with, but I wonder if there isn't enough open swimming space? Also, does the layout lend itself well to adding coral? I can safely fit my hand all the way around so I can clean the glass which is a concern for me as well.

I'm not sure on the full inhabitant list as of yet, but I know I plan to keep a pistol shrimp/goby pair so I need to make sure the rock work is very secure. I will use some epoxy and fiberglass rods to secure everything once I'm satisfied. On the right you'll see a small "cave" which I'm hoping the shrimp/goby will use.

I'm starting to think I should have gone larger than a 20 gallon AIO lol

Thanks!

IMG_4023.JPG IMG_4022.JPG IMG_4024.JPG