• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Union ball valves

Crabby

NJRC Member
Hi all, doing plumbing work on a daily basis comes pretty easy for me. Have you ever heard "I told you so!?!?" Lol.
Well after frigging around with PVC ball valves and the nightmares they sometimes present I found a cost effective way. I'm on a tight budget, the Cepex union ball valves are great. I just can't afford them. Wednesday I checked, and did regular exercise maintenance on my cheap ball valve, and yep you know it!
I found in Amazon HydroSeal true union ball valves. 1" was $21. I received it Wednesday right after the cheap one cracked and although it had 5 star reviews I was amazed by how easily it turned and how well it was put together. I'll try to keep this updated after install.

Here's the link:

20220608_164531.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Nice!!

Now is it actually rated schedule 80, or just colored that way? If it’s actually scheduled 80 that’s a deal!

Crabby

NJRC Member
I would rather it be sch40 for better flow through. Don't know where I would need a higher psi rating of 80Screenshot_20220609-235514_Chrome.jpg

I've been using 3 of these same ball valves for over a year now and haven't had a single problem. I'm not even getting salt creep around them. Still just as easy to turn now as they day I installed them. :eagerness:

Crabby

NJRC Member
Aren't gate valves better. I realize they are more expensive, but would think they would pay for themselves in the long run
Yes, $60 is really out of my budget ATM. In the future yes since it's easier to dial in smaller amounts at a time. Thanks for input!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice!!

Now is it actually rated schedule 80, or just colored that way? If it’s actually scheduled 80 that’s a deal!

Definitely not schedule 80, and I don't think 200 psi meets schedule 40 for 1 inch pipe. Either way, it doesn't matter because all our plumbing is under no pressure, or at worse, only a couple psi. The exception would be basement sump rooms were there is large head pressure....but still, 200 psi is still just fine.

Crabby

NJRC Member
Definitely not schedule 80, and I don't think 200 psi meets schedule 40 for 1 inch pipe. Either way, it doesn't matter because all our plumbing is under no pressure, or at worse, only a couple psi. The exception would be basement sump rooms were there is large head pressure....but still, 200 psi is still just fine.
Exactly! I really have no idea why people would want smaller ID anyhow. On my sprinkler system it has a 1 1/2 HP well pump that runs 1 1/4" in and 1" out. The solenoid kicks in at 40 and shuts off at 60 psi. Of course it's running through hundreds of feet of pipe which some is 1" poly pipe, and tons of tees elbows and 6 heads on each zone. I'm rambling lol... Working doing shower valve in bathroom lol. Have a great day!