• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Upgrading to 40breeder..

Well it’s that time again, running out of room in my 33cube. I’m working on a new tank (upgrade) if you can call it that. At least the display would be bigger. I’m setting up a 40 breeder and this time I’m not going all that fancy on it. Just a simple sump (29g tank) and that’s it. Besides the current filtration I’m running (MTC 250 skimmer, Coralife 1/6 hp chiller, MRC cr2 cal reactor, PM kalk reactor). As far as the lighting goes I’m going with 1- 250w DE MH 12k reeflux,2 -39w T5 actinic, I may add 2 more T5 10k if the MH is not enough. Return pump will be an Iwaki 70 rlt. These are some pics of the stand so far (don’t mind the date on the pics). What do you think?
100_4900.jpg

100_4899.jpg

100_4898.jpg

100_4897.jpg

100_4896.jpg

By the way when I’m done with the transfers of the corals and all the live stock my 33cube will be up for sale with all proceeds donated to st judes childrens hospital . It’s a long story but that’s the only condition that im parting out with this set up. I’ll be posting updates when in=m ready to sell it. I know some people have seen it, for those of you that haven’t you can check out my tread: http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=7107.0
Thanks, Danny.

Danny, that's a massive pump for a 40 breeder! I have an Iwaki 20 now as my return pump. I had an Iwaki 40 on my 75 gallon and that was pushing it with the stock durso. Are you running other equipment with it?

I like the moveable shelf myself. What's it for? I keep thinking for your sump.

40 breeder is such a great size tank for a small reef... has a large foot print for putting stuff, and it's a little shallower make t5's that much more effective

Thank you all. merve as far as the pump I am currently running it on my 33c. And yes it also feeds my fuge, cal reactor, chiller and phosphate reactor. In the new tank it will feed the chiller, cal reactor and future add on”s like phosphate reactor, water change valve. The server rail kit is for the cal reactor and kalk reactor. You can see pics of my 33c thread I used them for the lights and cal reactor. As return to the sump I’m going with 2-1.5 returns. On the 33c I used only one and that was not enough, I couldn’t handle the pump even with it feeding all the other equipment. I hope the 2 overflows will handle the pump..lol.

The diamond bits came in today :D ... So I went to town on the holes and all worked out well. I was able to drill out the 40b and will do the sump once I finish with the main display. So far this is what it looks like...

100_4904.jpg

100_4905.jpg

100_4906.jpg

100_4909.jpg

One of my favorite size tanks . That shelf idea is great .I saw one on a thread that had the center rockwork like an island and just about touching the water surface it look real good . Cant wait to see this one full of corals .

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That rail for the sump is great. Wish I was handy at stuff like that. I put several holes in the wall to hang one stupid picture!!!!

I went to Petsmart to size a 40 breeder today :)

and then realized I don't have a feasible place to display it, and then realized it wouldn't fit in the car anyways and then I realized that buying the tank is another step to another to another.

I went home driving in the rain, sad faced and all.

More pics Danny!

great think about a 40 breeder is that it has only 12" less on the length worth of floor space less that a 75g... 36"x18" is kinda an optimal size for a not "very big" tank,

Worked a little on the return plumbing, all white pvc will eventually be painted black. Going to work on the supply side tonight.

100_4910.jpg

100_4912.jpg

100_4913.jpg

I know what you mean...

Here are some more pics. I received the shipment of rock from marcorock yesterday. I’m very happy with the pieces. Hope to have them cure in about 4-6 weeks (sooner would be better). Also caulked the baffles on the sump, I think they will do the trick.

100_4924.jpg

100_4928.jpg