• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

using dr tims one and only and fishless cycle

I was wondering who has used this and what kind of steps you did to cycle your tank ? I added mine 3 days ago and added the ammonia the following day i checked my levels and i had 1-2 ppm of ammonia the following day i checked it was lower but nitrates and nitrites were still at zero . I added more drops today. I just would like to know if im doing this right and dr tims website doesnt have a day by day walk through.

I am wondering the same thing. I ordered a bottle the other day. I am going to use it on my new tank and see how it goes. I hear it kicks but but would love to have a walk through. I will be following along on this one.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Just follow the instructions on dr tims site. Also, if you have any issues, email him. He's quick to respond. Iv used this method. And it works. By no means is it instant. Took about 3 weeks. Remember. Ammonia-Nitrite-Nitrate. It's going to be a few days before you see nitrite appear and toward the end when you see nitrate. When you can add ammonia to 3ppm and it's gone in 24 hrs with no sign of nitrite you should be done. Then just do some big water changes to get your nitrate down

We used this when we first set up my 120 gal tank. We used all new sand, mostly new (dry) rocks, and a handful of live rocks from our smaller tank. I think it says on the bottle that you also need to add fish right away because the bacteria in the bottle needs fish poop. But instead of adding fish, I used to rinse the smaller tank's sponge on the tank. So in addition to the fish poop in the sponge, it also contains detritus that the bacteria might need. I think our cycle ended around the 2 week mark, but just to be safe I slowly added the cleanup crew, corals and a couple of small fish on the 3rd week. The bottle helps, but you must also be patient.

For me, I don't remember. I think I added the bottle the minute the tank got filled with saltwater. Also added at the same time were the sponge debris and a small raw shrimp.

I used one and only to cycle my tank. I add 32 oz of one and only and 120 mil of ammonia chloride in same day, I have 470g system and it cycle in 6 weeks. I did not dose daily just dump at ones and let it cycle.

Ok I wanted to give everybody an update on my tank . I added the one and only on last Wednesday and added ammonia drops to the tank . I found that what I was soaring in ammonia wasn't enough to get my ammonia over 2ppm so I added 200 drops n I didn't get a reading on nitrites and ammonia was at .25 ppm . The following day I added 350 drops of ammonia I checked the tank today and I have 1-2ppm hard to tell wich one , nitrites are .25 ppm and nitrates are at 20ppm . It finally started the process and I'm on my way to a fully cycled tank