• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Using Hydrogen Peroxide for cyano removal

C

charterreefer

Does anyone have any experience with using Hydrogen Peroxide to a treat reef tank for cyano? One of the other sites has a few advocates on doing this and it sounds good. Although, after reading Randy H Farley's column he says only if you're desperate should you use it. Jeez, it sounded like a good and cheap fix! I have a lot of sps corals. I could live with the little cyano I have as opposed to wiping everything out lol. I think I read something about a danger of it stripping PO4. My corals are stressed from GFO already. I don't need to strip anymore out.

Never used it for cyano but have used it for spot algae treatment. Never had any adverse affect in dosing in tank but I think for direct application SPS are sensitive to it. It is tricky because it can damage corals zoas for instance if left on to long.

C

charterreefer

I have a post going on R2R. Twiliard did a lot of work on it but I am having a really tough time digging up his specific articles/threads on feedback he got from people dosing H2O2 and there results. Someone else said he has over 100 pages. How can I access this stuff? I'm kind of new to these sites in general and apparently don't have a strong concept of the way posts work and how the information is stored. Or is it stored in any logical way at all?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
On that site there is just soooo much stuff to sort through. If you are looking for something posted by that member....I would just search for posting made by him.

On our site, offhand I know @art13 doses with peroxide, not sure if he still does but you could reach out to him as well

C

charterreefer

I'm personally not 100% convinced on any of the algae studies/findings by twillard on r2r, but that's just me
I agree. There are some people that say beware! And, there are others that say it's fine. I wish people applied a more scientific method to this...more critical observation and documenting results. We need to have some sort of template to let people ( that don't possess much scientific prowess) who do take the plunge and experiment with their tanks (H2O2 dosing in this case) to fill in the blanks. It would Guide them to taking more critical observations, thereby providing more robust information. If that is done the more critical and seasoned thinkers on these sites could come up with better conclusions based on the empirical information provided by the lay people who might otherwise draw the wrong conclusions (based on what they think they saw happening in their tanks). It would provide less adulterated information coming from a larger sample group. Outliers would be more apparent.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I agree. There are some people that say beware! And, there are others that say it's fine. I wish people applied a more scientific method to this...more critical observation and documenting results. We need to have some sort of template to let people ( that don't possess much scientific prowess) who do take the plunge and experiment with their tanks (H2O2 dosing in this case) to fill in the blanks. It would Guide them to taking more critical observations, thereby providing more robust information. If that is done the more critical and seasoned thinkers on these sites could come up with better conclusions based on the empirical information provided by the lay people who might otherwise draw the wrong conclusions (based on what they think they saw happening in their tanks). It would provide less adulterated information coming from a larger sample group. Outliers would be more apparent.

Not a bad idea but I find that people want to make up their mind on something already and you are either with them or your wrong lol.

Now @charterreefer I really like you idea and if you would like we can talk with the BOD and see about making a section on our site for doing this. Create a section where we say "you need to answer these following questions and guide lines" for testing stuff out and post results.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
track your progress here and open it up for discussion. We can post your info on the other sites as well to get some good, non-biased feedback. personally im a chemi clean type of guy when it comes to cyano, only because (like you mentioned) im not much of a science major when it comes to this stuff so i would be interested in finding something more concrete about it.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Not a bad idea but I find that people want to make up their mind on something already and you are either with them or your wrong lol.

Now @charterreefer I really like you idea and if you would like we can talk with the BOD and see about making a section on our site for doing this. Create a section where we say "you need to answer these following questions and guide lines" for testing stuff out and post results.
i would say just post up a thread about it with your test and findings....once we have a solid conclusion we can make it a sticky on a forum

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
i would say just post up a thread about it with your test and findings....once we have a solid conclusion we can make it a sticky on a forum

@trio91 I meant a more gen section for testing/reviewing anything. This section would allow anyone to say "hey I want to run this test on my tank and share my results with everyone" They will then go to this section and pull the guide lines set forth to testing/reviewing. For example length of test, what data to capture, equipment list, etc....

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have tried peroxide and vodka in the past. I will say in my case it didn't help. I ended up treating chemically and used bigger better circulation pumps along with more efficient husbandry especially for feeding. Be aware that if you dose the algae will build up before it goes away.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
@trio91 I meant a more gen section for testing/reviewing anything. This section would allow anyone to say "hey I want to run this test on my tank and share my results with everyone" They will then go to this section and pull the guide lines set forth to testing/reviewing. For example length of test, what data to capture, equipment list, etc....
gotcha

I have used peroxide to successfully get rid of dinos, and I try to dose it daily or when I remember. Why don't you just use Chemiclean to get rid of the cyano? That stuff kicks butt!

C

charterreefer

I have used peroxide to successfully get rid of dinos, and I try to dose it daily or when I remember. Why don't you just use Chemiclean to get rid of the cyano? That stuff kicks butt!
Chemiclean doesn't work anymore. Apparently according to Twilliards test (R2R) it kills spirulina not cyano. I killed off all the spirulina and the cyano is left. Therefore I want to use h2o2 to dose.
Did you dose your whole tank with the H2O2? If so what dose amount and duration? Did it kill anything that you didn't want it to kill?

C

charterreefer

I have tried peroxide and vodka in the past. I will say in my case it didn't help. I ended up treating chemically and used bigger better circulation pumps along with more efficient husbandry especially for feeding. Be aware that if you dose the algae will build up before it goes away.

What was your dose amount and duration? Did it kill anything you didn't want it to? Any negative results?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Chemiclean doesn't work anymore. Apparently according to Twilliards test (R2R) it kills spirulina not cyano. I killed off all the spirulina and the cyano is left. Therefore I want to use h2o2 to dose.
Did you dose your whole tank with the H2O2? If so what dose amount and duration? Did it kill anything that you didn't want it to kill?
I have used chemi clean before and for me it worked on cyano....like I said to you before, I personally don't 100% agree with anything related to twillard....that's just me

I have used chemiclean tons of times over the years and it has always been successful. (I may use it 1x a year) my dt is 140 plus the sump. I add 2 shot glasses full of h2o2